Friday, August 11, 2006

**Note: This should have been posted on Friday, but I got too sleepy and couldn't finish it! I'm sufficently awake now, so here we go.**

I am so freaking tired.

I have no idea why. I went to bed early enough last night, but I must have woken up a lot or something because I don't feel like I slept at all. Must be all of my partying!

Yeah, right! : )

Actually, I did enjoy myself yesterday. Well, except for work, simply because my office was about 90 degrees and I had to do a lot of heavy lifting. I also had to work with some big pieces of Sentra, which is a hard plastic board that we mount posters on. All together, the mounted posters weighed a ton and I had to balance them on my head to carry them downstairs. I now have a goose egg that is very painful because I bounced a little coming down the stairs and they hit me! Anyway, because the Sentra had to be cut to size, the pieces were covered with tiny shards of plastic dust that got all over me and I couldn't brush it off! Very itchy. I had plans for later that evening, so I had to leave work early so that I could go home and shower and change clothes. I'm glad I did because I was able to let the dogs inside before it rained. I'm sure they appreciated it too.

I had plans, once again, to meet Kenny in Cullman. It wasn't for anything as trivial as only dinner plans, noooooooo. This time I was going to have dinner with him AND teach him some much needed skills in Flash. Well, okay, I was going to teach him a couple of very simple things about Flash, but I was still going to teach him something. It's very rare that I know something he doesn't. Strange feeling.

We met, as usual, at the Cracker Barrell and took advantage of the rocking chairs out front. I think we've sat out there often enough to begin to see the subtle differences in the quality of each rocking chair. Kenny's had a slight catch in forward motion, so we found him a new one before it became a problem. : ) It was drizzly and pleasant outside for the first time in a while, so we sat people watching and talking for a long time. We always see at least one strange person or couple of people every time we're there. This time we saw a couple of large, white women drive up in a teal-green mini van with spinners! Spinners, I said. Spinners on only three of their wheels. Apparently the front, left one had flown off somewhere along the way. Now, I'm all about pimping your ride, if you have the desire to do so, but come on! Why would anyone choose to pimp a teal green Dodge Caravan? They weren't even real spinners because they were made of plastic. Yes, to answer how we know this, we walked over to the van once the ladies went in and we played with them. I'm not ashamed.

We finally decided to go, and once again ended up driving back and forth along the main "drag" trying to decide where to eat. I don't know why we do this. Neither of us were very hungry, neither of us knew what we wanted, and neither of us would make a decision. So we finally decided to go to Dairy Queen and have a blizzard to support the Children's Miracle Network. Hey, it was for the kids. Personally, I kind of liked ice cream for dinner. I may have to do that more often! I haven't eaten in a Dairy Queen in a really long time, so I had forgotten the joys of frozen M&Ms in soft serve. We found a table in probably the coldest corner of the resturaunt and ate and talked some more. I don't know about him, but I enjoyed myself immensely. The place was packed to the gills, though. Now we know where the people of Cullman go when everything else is closed. Just about the time hypothermia was setting in, we decided to leave so that I could teach him the computer stuff. We drove over to the Books-A-Million, which actually stays open until 11:00 pm *gasp* and took a table in the cafe. I'll be honest, I suck as a teacher. Not one of my spiritual gifts, apparently. However, I think I explained it well enough for Kenny to get the gist of what he wanted to know. I was showing him how to do a slide presentation where the pics fade from one to another, so it wasn't that complicated. When I was showing him how to add music, we kind of had to tread carefully as to the soundtrack we picked. This was, after all, the same Books-A-Million that almost threw us out for some small, completely unfair transgression when we were there before. So we finally decided on some Tom Jones. Who doesn't love Tom Jones, right? Besides, in a town that repressed, they probably didn't even know what the song "SexBomb" was talking about anyway. :)

After probably confusing him more than he was before we got there (him being too much of a gentleman to tell me this, of course) we both had to go home. We had both been yawning for a while, so it was a long and sleepy drive back. Fortunately, the somewhat constant lightning that flashed my entire trip home kept me awake. By the time I got home I was dragging. Steve wouldn't let me go to bed until we had fed the dogs, so I dozed in the recliner while the dogs periodically came and nosed me awake with their drooly faces. I think there was a conspiracy to see how many times of waking me up it would take before I started to cry. They finally went to bed and so did I. Of course, wouldn't you know it, I couldn't sleep when I finally lay down. I don't know how long I was awake before I finally did fall asleep, but that is probably why I felt like warmed over death when I went in to work Friday morning.

All in all, a very fun evening. Good times.

No comments: