Monday, May 04, 2020

RANDOM ACTS OF BLOGGING

1) You know what makes me irrationally angry?

Overly elaborate, but short-lived, food art.

I'm not talking about cakes or fancy cookies, although technically they should fall in the same category. At least with cakes and cookies, they can sit around for a few hours, or be stored someplace where they aren't immediately destroyed. I'm talking about stuff that wouldn't last even a little while without getting gross, like pancakes made in the shapes of cartoon characters with different colored batter, sculptures made out of cotton candy, or fancy coffee with the surface decorated with flowers made out of milk foam.

I've lately been watching a lot of YouTube videos of people who make this stuff, and I've found myself getting really, stupidly, pissed off at the idea that these people have amazing skills and can make beautiful things, and what they make won't even last an hour. I don't even know why I react this way! I'm in awe of the talent, but I think that they are going through all that trouble for basically nothing is what triggers me.

This is how I know I'm reaching that "Old Lady Yelling At the Clouds" phase of my life. 

2) Yesterday I was reading a Reddit thread about an unresolved mystery that seemed fairly interesting. The TL; DR is that a mother and daughter went out of town for a shopping trip, leaving the husband/father at home alone. They came back and he was missing. None of his personal effects were gone, it looked like he'd just disappeared. The same day they found out he was missing, the body of a John Doe was found 1600 miles away, killed in a hit and run, and it turned out to be the afore mentioned  husband/father. Mystery ensued.  Read the thread if you're interested, because the story has a lot of details that I didn't cover, but what it all boils down to is that no one seems to know how or why the man ended up so far from home, or why he was in a position to be run over where he was. Personally, I want to believe it was aliens, or ghosts, or parallel universes! However, as it usually is, it probably has a fairly reasonable, boring cause that just can't be found out because the man in question is deadsies.

The story got me thinking about the times when Steve is traveling and I'm home alone. If I leave the house, I always try to leave a note on the counter saying where I am going in case I disappear. Does that sounds like overkill? Maaaaaybe. But still, it would be a clue if the worst happened, ya know? It's just a precaution, anyway. I don't expect anything like that to happen, but I'd want to give everyone a starting point if it did. The last thing I need is to become an unsolved mystery. Seriously, if I decide to go across town to buy yarn, and my body is found in Zurich wearing a toga and holding the stolen burial helmet of King Tut, just know that was probably not my original intent. If it is, it'll be in the note. :)

3) There was a second Reddit thread (I can't find it to link to it) asking what would it be like finding out that intelligent extra terrestrials are real. There was a lot of talk, but one particular section got me tickled. The idea was that in the 70's we sent the Pioneer space craft out into the universe containing a plaque that had etchings that gives information about where it originated and about the beings that created it. This includes some etchings of anatomically correct male and female figures so that they'd know what we look like. I'm guessing clothes might confuse the aliens? Who knows?

The point was that the first human made object we sent out of our solar system contained highly scientific, but unsolicited, nudes. It was speculated that the very first real message we received from aliens would either be a restraining order or a request for more! :)

4)  Speaking of nudes...

Nah, I'm kidding! I can't remember what else I was going to talk about! It probably wasn't about that.

No comments: