Monday, February 22, 2021

EVEN MORE RANDOM ACTS OF BLOGGING. AGAIN.

 1) Well, shit, y'all.

On Saturday I got a text from the woman I work for at the cyber security office saying she was giving me a heads up because she was sending me an email with some bad news. She was very nice about it and apologized for telling me this on a weekend, but what it all boiled down to when I got the email was that the company had suddenly, and unexpectedly, lost the contract support she had built up. Because of that, she would have to lay me off.

She was quick to mention that it didn't have anything to do with me or my work, or anything like that, but it was just a bad situation business-wise. I totally understand that. One thing I've learned is that working for the government is like a particular boyfriend I had when I was a teenager. They slobber all over your face, promise you the world, tell you how much they like you, and then one day you find out that they've broken up with you and didn't bother to mention it, and they already have a new girlfriend. (Am I still bitter? Yes. He was a damn fine kisser and it sucked to be dumped without being told. My heart was BROKEN! Heehee.)

I wasn't angry, of course, but I couldn't help but feel disappointed. I know it was only my job one day a week for now, but I'd thought that it would turn out to be a real, long term job in the long run. As per usual, I counted my chickens before they hatched. I won't lie, I had a few hours of feeling a bit sorry for myself, but ultimately I realized I worked as hard and as well as I could, and you really can't ask more of yourself than that. Also, I'm very lucky to still have the job at church, and I'm still doing freelance graphic design, so it isn't like it was my only way of making money. I still have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing with my life, so who knows where I'll be next.

I think feel worse for the woman I worked for, because this company is her dream. She worked so hard to get it to the level that it was at before the dominoes began to fall. I mean it, she was working so much, so late, and running a non profit on the side, and raising her kids and it sucks that this has happened. Thankfully the company still exists, on a much reduced scale, but she hasn't lost it completely. I have all the faith in the world that she will build it back up and hopefully it will become more successful than ever. She's a hip, and very smart, lady. 

Maybe I'll become a welder. 

2)  I had a birthday! Another one! I'm (physically) 43 years old now and it was a really nice birthday. I got to have lunch with my mom, sister, and oldest nephew the Friday before, which was fun, and on the actual day I was at church. Lots of people remembered my birthday, which I though was sweet. It was a low key day, but the people who mattered most to me were a part of it one way or another. Got a great video card, someone at church gave me a cake, Steve gave me some funny gifts, and my mom called and sang to me first thing! 

It was a good day. It's nice when people are glad you're still alive! 

3) I know you'll be shocked to know that things have been quiet here. I wish I had more exciting things to write about. We got some snow, which was fun. Not everyone likes snow, but I like southern snow. It shows up, makes a fuss, and fucks off. There is none of that staying around that other parts of the country have to deal with. It got cold, but that only lasted about three days. It was actually warm here this morning, which - as nice as it is - doesn't bode well for tornado season. It rained like crazy last night, but the sun is out now. So...you know, it's February. 

4) I've literally been sitting here trying to think of other, interesting, things to talk about and I don't have anything else. Maybe I'll be drafted to play for the Falcons or something soon so that I'll have some fun news. I hope so. There's been enough misery to last a few years. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

No comments: