Monday, May 02, 2022

A GOOD MAN

The world lost a good man on Sunday morning.

Capping off a spectacularly shitty April, and now moving into a probably similar May, my uncle, Garry Puckett, passed away after a fight with a long term illness.

He is Steve's uncle, technically, but I've been lucky with all of my in-laws and they all loved and accepted me immediately. He might as well have been my own blood. He was a good, gentle, kind, and funny man and the world is a lesser place now that he is gone.

I'm not good with words. I know people who could write beautiful paragraphs about someone's character, but I'm too clumsy. I mean, I could write a lot of words, but I don't think they would be the right ones. I think I've mentioned this before, but if I could cut myself open and spread out my feelings onto a table, it would be easier to show people how I feel about things than for me to try and explain.

Death is a weird thing. It can be sudden and cruel, it can linger, or it can be a relief. Uncle Garry had been sick and sad for a long time, so I believe death came as a friend to him. He was ready. He said as much. It doesn't make those of us he left behind hurt any less, but it helps us to hurt differently; maybe less sharply, and less raw.

I will miss him.  

That is all I have to say about that.

No comments: