Monday, March 13, 2006

WEEKEND UPDATE!

This weekend was fraught, FRAUGHT I SAY, with a plethora of highs and lows. It was a veritable sine wave of emotional journeys.

OK, yeah, I'm over dramatizing that a bit. : ) However, I did see both ends of the joy spectrum this weekend.

Friday night I went to the gym on my own. That night they had me down for the upper body workout, which I hate, and I was hoping to get done quickly. I didn't get to do everything because the "Popeye dudes" were there. This is what I call those guys who have such big muscles that they can't put their arms all the way down to their sides. Seriously. Once guy looks normal everywhere else, but his arms are huge. I fear for any shirt that he puts on that doesn't contain a healthy amount of Lycra, because if he sneezes and flexes his biceps, I'm pretty sure it would fly off in tatters. Don't make him angry...you wouldn't like him when he's angry. The Popeye Guys all hang around the free weights and watch themselves in the mirror as if they are tryng to figure out one of those 3D pictures that look like bad TV reception. They make me too nervous to get near them, AND the sheer largeness of their muscles doesn't leave me an awful lot of room to move around anyway. So I left early. As I was getting in the car I realized that I had missed some calls, one of which was from my friend who had gotten so sick last fall. It wasn't actually her that called, it was her mother. My friend went into surgery on Friday, but unfortunately all of the healing that the doctors had been anticipating had not happened. In fact, her small intestine was pretty much gone completely. They had to reverse her gastric bypass so that her body would be able to hold more food, but she will probably have to rely on the liquid nutrients they were giving her intrveinously, maybe even for the rest of her life. They still have some ideas that might help her, so the outlook isn't completely dark, but my friend is horribly depressed and scared. I can totally understand that. Please just keep her in your prayers.

Saturday dawned beautifully. I woke up way earlier than I wanted to and couldn't go back to sleep. So after letting the dogs out (yeah, I let the dogs out!) I decided that all of the beautiful flowers blooming outside needed to be photographed. I love Spring for many things, flowers being #1 on that list. However, I do not love spring because of the nerve gasses that the flowers and trees spread around. I totally forget that mornings are the worst time to be outside if you are allergic to pollen. There I was wallering around on the grass trying to get a good shot of the purple wildflowers growing on our lawn. I was right up against the Bradford Pear, and I'm all but climbing the ornamental plum tree to get good close ups of the blossoms. It wasn't until I went back inside that I started itching, sneezing and breaking out into a lovely rash. Nice. That being done, I medicated myself and then sat back to watch the recorded Monk and Battlestar Galactica season finale. Since I know and love some very big Battlestar fans who probably didn't get to see it, I won't ruin it, but the end had me scratching my head. It was awesome, though. I decided to give Steve a day to himself, since he doesn't seem to get any peace from anywhere else these days, so I did my own thing while he did his. I shopped and got groceries and I think he told me he had to go into work for a while and get his oil changed. I didn't see him again until he came home after lunch. I worked on some homework and he listened to his audio novels It was very nice. I had planned to go to The Coffee Tree and listen to my friend's band that night and Steve declined to join me. Josh was supposed to meet me at our house, but he was late, so I went on without him! He met me there, and we sat and talked for a while before the band set up. I was expecting something a little flashier, but I was plesantly surprised at their sound. Sort of a countryish-folkish-Edwin McCainish type thing. Since it was open mic night, two other acts performed and Josh and I spent the time when they were playing getting aquainted with Jason's (my friend) band members I didn't know. We had so much FUN! We just sat back and talked about this and that. I got caught up with Jason's life, since I hadn't seen him in forever. He had just broken up with his girlfriend, who apparently was kinda psycho. She showed up that night with her little boy and I recognized her as the lady who used to cut my hair! It's a small world afterall. Apparently her craziness surpassed even what Jason told me because everyone who knew Jason kept a watch out for her to make sure she didn't...hurt him, cause a scene? I don't know, but I do know they didn't leave them alone for long periods of time when she would follow him outside during his cigarette breaks. Very creepy. Apparently she had come there that night to beg him to come back to her...using her little boy as kind of a weapon. It's not their child, it's her son, and Jason had made it clear that he wasn't interested in playing daddy to him unless things looked like they were getting serious between them. Ex-girlfriend had different ideas. People who use kids like that make me sick! Anyways, after that uncomfortable moment was over and she had gone, they asked me to sing with them! I got to sing!!!!! Yay! We ended up staying until well after the cafe closed, because the lead singer's mom runs the place and said she didn't mind if we stayed while they were cleaning up. It was a lot of fun!

Sunday was blah. I don't know if it's my allergies or what, but I felt like the inside of my body was on fire. I couldn't get cool for anything. I went to church, but ended up coming home because of the way I felt. I went out to my parent's house and then on to Steve's parent's house to water the plants and clean for them. Steve had gone down to Birmingham to see his folks and by the time I got home, he was home and taking a nap. I did more homework, made dinner and went to bed.

So what did you do?

No comments: