Monday, March 16, 2020

BLOGGED ALONG THE WAY ORLANDO TO TAMPA, FLORIDA, MARCH 10, 2020

Ok, first off, do not judge me. 


Colleges are stopping in person classes in favor of online work. Conferences, concerts, and other large group activities are being cancelled left and right. People are now being urged to work from home. We’ve had friends lose hundreds of dollars by simply not going to events that they’ve already paid for because there would be a crowd of people in one place. It’s kind of crazy, but an understandable kind of crazy, because right now, no one really knows the scope, incubation, and transmission rate of the Coronavirus. All of this makes sense to me. But guess what we did today?


Universal Studios. 


Shut. up.


Ok, hear me out... yeah, I really don’t know why we did this either, but damn the torpedoes, I guess.*shrug*


If it sounds weird that we took a day in the middle of a work trip to go to a theme park (during a budding pandemic, no less)  it all came down to timing. Originally, Steve was going to fly down here today, and so had no work planned. At the last minute, a meeting with a client got added On Monday, so we drove down on Sunday, and with that out of the way, we had Tuesday (Today) free. Get it? Got it? Good! 


You’d think that, with the afore mentioned pandemic, places like Universal Studios would be much less crowded. To be fair, maybe it was, but it didn’t look like it. We didn’t have to wait in extremely long lines, but there were still a lot of people there. I spent a great amount of time trying not to touch railings, handles, and surfaces, and I took the chance to wash my hands whenever I could, but let’s face it. I was at a theme park in Florida. If I don’t come home with Coronavirus, there is a good chance I got measles or second hand syphilis from someone we stood next to in line. I don’t know. Half of me is horrified that we went, and half of me knows you can’t live your life terrified of what ifs, and the other half of me (I’m a big woman, so yeah) is wondering if I’ll get sick and die myself, or accidentally kill someone with germs and knowing I’ll never forgive myself if it happens.


We actually had fun, all things considered. We rode the rides, we visited the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (my fave) and just enjoyed the day. The weather was amazing, the park had a Mardi Gras celebration going on, and we got to eat at an award winning theme park restaurant! Hehe, yes, that is what the sign said! My food (I ordered gnocchi bolognese) was not so great. It tasted EXACTLY, and I mean exactly, like canned ravioli. This leaves me with two unsettling possibilities: 1) We paid theme park food prices (stupid high) for canned Italian food in a fancy plate. Or 2) If a trained chef, or cook, or whatever, wins awards for making food like that, we have not been giving Chef Boyardee enough credit for his excellent food! 


I was completely exhausted by the time we were finished for the day, so we stopped by Voodoo Donuts for some sugar and caffeine, and then it the road for Tampa, where we will be for the next couple of days.


We finally got there (it seemed to take forever) and then took some excellent advice and had dinner at the Columbia Restaurant, which is the oldest restaurants in Florida. It is family owned and serves Spanish food. It was delish, and we already think we will go back tomorrow to try some other stuff and watch the Flamenco show! 


Now we’re back and I’m so tired and ready for bed! 

No comments: