Monday, March 16, 2020

BLOGGED ALONG THE WAY: TAMPA, FLORIDA, MARCH 11, 2020

Today we didn’t know what we were going to do. Steve had to stop by a convention for a bit. He is due to speak and be on a panel discussion about Cybersecurity tomorrow, but he needed to meet with the lady who set up the conference to get some information. They have no way of knowing if people who signed up to be at the conference will actually come a5 this point, but the show must go on, I guess.

Since I’m going to be on my own for most of the day tomorrow, I asked Steve to go with me today after his obligations were fulfilled, so I’d know where the beaches are, in case I decide to drive out there myself while he was at his thing. I know that is what GPS is for, but I didn’t think it could hurt to have a dry run! 

We drove over Tampa Bay and into St. Petersburg. Well actually, we ended up in a place called Treasure Island, but I never found out if that was a town, or the name of a neighborhood. It was so cute! There were a lot of very well preserved, old hotels along the beach, maybe from the 50’s or 60’s? I dunno, but we drove around until we ended up in Madeira Beach, and Steve and I took a walk so I could find some seashells! That is one of my very favorite activities, so I was excited to do it. I found my firs pieces of urchin shell in the wild, and a few mostly whole pin shells!  We walked for about an hour and then drove around some more. We looked for cheesy beach shops to see what kind of awful souvenirs that were out this year, but surprisingly, we didn’t find much. I guess St. Pete must be a nicer sort of place? Eh, oh well.

Steve had a phone meeting to attend, so we came back to the hotel to get cleaned up, because after his meeting, we indeed went back to the Colombian Restaurant! We weren’t just going back for the food, but we were also went back to see the Flamenco show they have. It was so cool! It doesn’t look like a hard dance to learn, but I think that’s the trick. I know I’d never be able to do it! The dancers were very good, and we had a great time. The food was still excellent, although I ate way too much -but who can resist churros?-  and I’m very glad I was told about the place!

By the time we got back, again, we were so tired that we went straight to bed. However, we both woke up in the middle of the night. Not cool. Save the first day, this whole trip has been a series of being tired, and not being able to sleep well, which makes us tired, but doesn’t let us sleep well. It’s weird. It also doesn’t help that since I’ve been up, I’ve been inundated with panic posts/articles about the Coronavirus and now I feel guilty for not being home, hiding in my house. I’m stuck between wanting to be careful and wanting to live my damn life. Ugh. Well, we’ll be living our damn lives this week. People will probably think we’re a couple of assholes for that, I guess.

Sigh.

No comments: