Monday, June 18, 2007

I was just about to start my usual WEEKEND UPDATE, but then I realized a very painful truth. Sometimes there are aspects of my life so trivial that it would just be embarrassing to write about it all. I mean, I'm not that interesting really, so were I to set down details of what I ate and how much laundry I did (or did not) do, I'd begin to feel as if I were piercing you fine people with red hot needles. That is an activity I would shun except under the most dire circumstances.

However, all is not lost, my darlings. I will write about my Saturday which was more active than normal for me! For some reason I woke up at 5:30 am. This early rising nonsense has been happening to me for the past few weeks. The one freaking day I am allowed to sleep in relativly late, and my body says "Nope, that's all the sleep you get, princess. Outta bed!" So, I got outta bed. In my house, there is very little I can do that will not make the kinds of noises that cause Steve to rush out of the bedroom brandishing the iron pipe. Because he is bigger than me, and tends to not only scare easliy but accidentally hurt me (because he forgets how big of a dude he is) if he is startled, I try not to do anything to provoke that type of reaction if I can help it. So I spent the better part of the morning looking around on the internet. I was just getting sleepy again when Steve woke up and reminded me that we had things to do that needed to get done. I had decided that I didn't want to do anything but go back to sleep, but the decision was taken out of my hands.

I pause here to wonder why that tactic doesn't work the other way 'round. Meh...

So I started the laundry while Steve went to Target and PetsMart - or is it PetSmart? I can never figure that out.

Steve is normally a big lump, and I hope he forgives me for saying that, but it's true. However, when he wants to work, he will work his hiney off and drag me along with him. I washed and folded clothes while he sorted and stored winter clothes and various other under-the-bed things. Then, he decided, we were going to shave the dog. I love my dogs, that is not even a question to be asked, but lately we have been having a problem with then that is completely new to me. Maybe it's the unusually dry weather, maybe it's the heat, but the dogs skipped right over shedding their winter coats and have started molting. I'm not kidding. A Lab and a Catahoula/Border Collie each have a lot of hair. Now, imagine that fur falling out in chunks. Not just falling out hair by hair, but literally clumping up into bunches and falling out in big furballs. Poor Butler looked so silly. His hindquarters were so ragged looking we just started calling him Captain FeatherPants. He didn't apprecate that, though. So we got the clippers and proceeded to give him a haircut. He didn't like it very much, and I don't know if we did it right, but we got about 12 pounds of fur off of him. He had to do a victory lap around the back yard once we were done, so maybe he felt lighter or something. We weren't able to cut Bear because it was too hot to stay outside any longer, so that will be done later this week. I dread that. Bear cowers and rolls over when he doesn't want us to do stuff to him, so that should be fun.

Later that evening, we had dinner with Anthony and an old friend of ours, Jeff, who worked at the SpaceDome with Steve years ago. We also got to meet his wife for the first time and she was a hoot. I liked her a lot. There was a lot of loud laughing and general rowdiness that evening. : ) However, I did manage to almost die of embarrassment towards the end of the night. Tina had gotten up to go to the restroom and I saw her purse sitting on the table. It had a plastic window in the front of it and what I thought was a program from a play sitting in the window. I had seen it earlier, but couldn't figure out which play it was, so while she was gone I leaned over and saw that it wasn't a program, but some kind of catalog. I asked Jeff what it was, and instead of telling me, he reached in her purse and pulled out another catalog and handed it to me. It said "Slumber Party" and had a picture of two ladies on the front holding shopping bags. So I thought to myself "Oh, she sells girly things: PJs, nail polish and all of the other stuff one thinks of in accordance with Slumber Parties. Like a tupperwear lady." So I opened the catalog to flip through it. I closed it again very quickly. Oh, there were girly things in there all right, but it wasn't pajamas and nail polish! Sweet banana mousse, I was unprepaired for the kinds of things I saw. Granted, I knew things of that nature existed, but I wasn't expecting to be handed a catalog of products in the middle of a family resturaunt! I must have turned fifteen shades of red, because they all got a good laugh out of it. Then when Tina came back, she saw I had the catalog and she basically told me that she was like a Mary Kay lady, but sold adult toys instead of makeup.

I nearly died.

I'm not a prude, nor do I think badly of her for selling this stuff, but I didn't know her that well and certainly didn't think I'd wind up getting a detailed description of her best sellers! Oy, vey. I think I blushed for a solid two hours.
By the time Steve and Jeff stopped talking, it was late and we had to head home. She did promise to drive all the way from Birmingham to host a party for me if I wanted, though. I told her I'd let her know. O.o

Oh, and I made this:
Yes. It's a crocheted Dalek. I found a pattern online, I had some gray yarn...and it just sort of happened.

I used to be relatively normal.

SIGH.






EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

No comments: