Monday, February 18, 2013

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME

Well, another year has gone by and I officially no longer have to scale down the age settings on the elliptical at the gym.  Excuse me while I go into a corner and sob a bit. 

*one hour later*

OK, I'm much better now!  Actually, I had a very nice birthday this year.  Well, at least there was little to no mayhem, so that's much better than some years.  I spent most of it at work, though.  Generally, I take the day off from work, but I didn't think of doing it soon enough.  I'm not kidding, this birthday sneaked up on me! (Sneaked doesn't sound right to me, but spell check says it's a real word.)

The pastor and the youth pastor took me to lunch, which was nice, but it was a little weird.   I mean, it wasn't weird in a bad way, but I'm still not used to being so causal with my preacher, so it was weird just hanging out and having lunch with them.  Shut up, I'm still getting used to it!  :)  We went to a place called Shane's Rib Shack.  The youth pastor had been telling me about the place and since I couldn't think of anywhere else I'd rather go, I picked that.  Honestly, I can never think of a place to eat when people ask me.  I'm terrible at it.  I panic, name a place, and then spend the entire meal worrying that the people I'm with don't like it!  However, this wasn't a bad choice at all.  It was actually really good! I mean, it was no Dreamland, but really, you can't expect that.  My only complaint, and it's really my fault for not knowing this already, was that I ordered a rib sandwich expecting it to be a sandwich made of rib meat.  Nope, it was two pieces of Texas toast with ribs in the middle.  Like, actual ribs on the bone in between bread slices.  It tasted good, but I had to remove the skeleton before I could eat it!

I actually had planned to leave early, but I wound up staying later to try and upload a video to Youtube, a video that refused to be uploaded.  I just got disgusted with it and left.  On my way home I stopped at the Cafe City Diner to pick up my birthday cake substitute, a couple of giant pieces tiramisu, for after dinner.  They were the size of Steve's head!

It was "Punch Someone In the Face" delicious.

When I got home, I saw where a bunch of people had posted happy birthdays on my Facebook page!  Look, I know that doesn't really mean much, and I know most of them probably didn't know it was my birthday until they saw it online, but I don't care.  I still thought it was nice.  They didn't have to take the time, so I took it as a plus!  Where else but Facebook will people you never talk to, never see, and probably don't know well enough to have a conversation with, tell you happy birthday?

Steve came home and we gave each other our Valentine's day gifts.  I'm so grateful that he knows I wouldn't like to get flowers or jewelry on Valentine's day.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's bad for people to give their wives or whatever flowers or jewelry, but it isn't something I personally like.  I got him jellybeans and he got me a t-shirt with a cartoon of the Dramatic Groundhog on it.  Tres romantic, no?


It makes me laugh. Don't judge me.

 We had to run a couple of errands, and we grabbed some 5 Guys burgers (and fries) on the way home, which I think put me over my daily allowance of meat for the next couple of days, but they were so feckin' good.  I opened my cards from my family and my birthday gift from Steve (a plotter, like the one I used at the Sprocket -pitooey- but for personal rather than industrial use. Awesome!) and we watched TV.  It was a lovely, low key birthday.  However, I didn't know it wasn't over yet!  I didn't actually get it until the next morning, probably because I had fallen into a meat coma after dinner, but I got - hands down - the best birthday video that has ever been made/ will ever be made. 

So, unless the universe is saving it up for later on in the year (which I sincerely hope it isn't, 'cause last time that happened it was really, really bad) the birthday curse was relatively mild, possibly absent this year.  Well, except maybe for what happened to Russia.  So, Прошу прощения, Russia.  My bad.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to think of me!  I'm really not worthy, but I'm glad you guys don't know that!  :)

No comments: