Thursday, February 19, 2015


1)  Yes, I had a lovely birthday, thanks for asking!  It actually was very nice and kind of busy.  The pianist from our church got married that day, and she had asked me if I would run the sound, which I agreed to do.  I thought it was going to be a nightmare of songs and microphones and stuff, but honestly, all I did was make sure that the musicians were set up and the sound recorded loud enough to be picked up through our video system.  It was a very low key wedding, as both bride and groom has been married before, but it was very sweet.  They had some amazing musicians there, too.  The bride is a music teacher (violin and piano) and some of her students played for them. It was lovely!  We didn't stay for the reception because it was crowded and loud and everyone was breathing all the air, so we went to lunch a little late.  The first place we tried was actually closed, but they forgot to lock the door, so we stood there like a couple of muppets while we waited for someone to come and seat us.  Someone had to come and tell us they were closed, which was embarrassing since the times were on the door (but I hadn't seen them) but we found another place to go. No worries!  We went home for a bit before we headed back out and went to the VBCC to see Brian Regan perform!  Steve apparently caught the ticket sale right at the beginning, because we had front row seats. I thought that meant front row, audience area, but it actually meant front row, orchestra area.  I've never sat that close to a stage in my life.  Luckily, Mr. Regan isn't the kind of guy who picks at the audience.  We had so much fun!  He's very funny.  I want to sit up front at more stuff!

We ended the day at home just watching TV.  It was nice.  I also got the Facebook birthday messages, which I realize are somewhat obligatory these days, but it was still sweet for people to say it. I always enjoy people saying happy birthday, because you never know what year people will stop! :)  There was only one, tiny thing that kept it from being perfect, but I'm not going to talk about that. It was out of my control.

I also got to have lunch with my mom and sister the day before my birthday, so it was just great all around.

2) I got a hair cut and I think I have PTSD from that visit to the salon.  My hair has been long for a while now, and because it kept getting tangled around the chain of my necklace and having to be pulled free, it was a mess of split ends. I knew I was going to have to get quite a bit of it cut off to remedy that, but since my hair was halfway down my back, I knew I could get a lot cut off without it being too severe.  I decided one morning that I'd go after work and get it cut at Master Cuts (which may have been part of the problem.) Although I think there are some people who won't believe me when I say this, I actually kept having little twinges of "Maybe I shouldn't go today" feelings all day.  I had actually decided not to go at all at one point, but felt like I was being silly, so I made myself go in the end. I should have listened to my twinges.

I walked in, and there were two ladies there, so when I told them I wanted a haircut, the older one said "Are you comfortable with her cutting your hair? She just graduated from beauty school." I was all, "Sure, why not?" because she had graduated and everything.  I sat down and told her what I wanted, which I think confused her a little, but mainly I told her I wanted it cut no higher than my shoulders in the back, slightly longer in the front, and textured. All of those things are normal haircutty things, so I didn't think I had confused her, but I was wrong.  She starting cutting right at my shoulders, and after taking the first big chunk out, she got slower, and slower, and slower.  I figured she was just being careful.  She asked me to tilt my head forward, and she started cutting very slowly again.  I don't think I started getting nervous until she kept cutting the same section of hair over and over.  I thought she was just evening it out, but she wasn't.  All of a sudden, the other lady walked over and took the scissors from the girl and started cutting very fast.  She kept cutting and cutting, and my hands started to sweat, because it was then that I realized how short the girl had cut the right side of my hair.  The lady was panicking, I knew, but she was cutting so fast and so much that I was scared to say anything.  She was saying "You wanted it longer in the front, right?" and pulling on my hair as if she could make it longer, but I just kept saying "It's fine, don't go any shorter. It's fine." I think I said that like 3 times before she finally leaned down and said "You don't owe us anything."  I felt so sorry for the new girl, who also apologized to me, and I didn't want to make things worse, so I told them I'd still pay, but the other lady just kept saying "No,'s ok."  I didn't realize until later that she was trying to get me out of the salon as quickly as possible because there were other people waiting to get haircuts and she didn't want them to see what had happened.  It wasn't a terrible haircut, but it wasn't even in the same galaxy as the haircut I'd asked for.  I wasn't mad at all, but I think I was in shock.  I literally have no idea what to do to my head now.  It's not even long enough to put in a ponytail, and it's too short to pin back.  It also has the habit of sticking out the absolute wrong way on the right. Sometimes it's big and fluffy, and sometimes it is flat, and no matter what I do to it, it doesn't feel like my own head.  It's very strange. People tell me it looks nice, but I can't tell if they're just being kind.  At least I have a lot of hats.

3) I'm losing my mind, you guys.  Last night I put a pot of water on the stove to boil so that I could make oatmeal for the next morning.  I turned on the stove, walked out of the room, and completely forgot I'd done it.  It wasn't until I smelled something hot (I can smell everything) and walked back into the kitchen that I remembered what I'd been doing. It actually scared me!  If my X-Man mutant smelling powers hadn't kicked in, I might have destroyed the kitchen.  I also sent a text message that was supposed to go to Steve, it was about some clothes I'd left in the car, but instead I clicked on the name of our youth minister.  His wife happened to see the message and asked me why I was leaving clothes in her husband's car and it got very weird, very fast.  Now I'm paranoid about sending text messages to the wrong people, because as I told my dear friend, I like my eccentricities to be localized. I don't need randoms knowing my quirks. I also forgot to hang up the house phone yesterday and just left it on,  face down on my desk without hitting the "end" button.  People tried to call us.  I guess I was just getting it confused with my cell phone.  I feel like I'm going insane.  I know I'm scatterbrained, but this is getting out of hand.  It's because I'm an old woman now, I bet.

No comments: