Monday, September 26, 2016

BLOGGED ALONG THE WAY: HOLY CITY EDITION


September 19, 2016

Have I mentioned that Steve has been traveling a lot lately? Well, Steve has been traveling a lot lately. Since mid August, he's been gone almost every week except for coming home for 16 hours (just long enough to wash his clothes and repack) and he'd head back out again. His new company is cool in the fact that they don't mind if I tag along sometimes, but I haven't wanted to go to any of the places he's been sent thus far.  I mean, I'm sure that Ft. Bliss, in the very armpit of the summer, is lovely and all that, but no thank you. 

This week Steve has been sent to Charleston, South Carolina, which is a place I've been wanting to visit for a very long time! I love historic cities and have heard great things about the place for years!  He was cool with me coming with him, so he got me a plane ticket and we headed off on our adventure!

Ok, full disclosure, today wasn't exactly adventurous. It was a travel day and it started oddly late. We got up, did a few last things around the house, and left for our flight out of Huntsville.  We almost made it through security without incident, but my left ankle set off the full body scan thingie.  No idea why!  So the nice TSA agent started frisking my ankle, which made me giggle, which then made her giggle.  Good times.  Once they decided I wasn't strapped with a weapon, we got to go!  

We flew from Huntsville to Atlanta around noon on a very full plane. I managed to get wedged in between Steve and a large guy who looked like the love child of Grumpy Cat and Meatloaf!  It was a short, uneventful flight, thank goodness, and we were even lucky enough to be relatively close to our departure gate for the next flight when we landed. We had about an hour layover and then got on our flight to Charleston, which was another very quick trip. Even so, we didn't get into Charleston until about 6:00 PM. That meant it was really to late to do anything tonight. Boo! 

We had a small snafu with the car rental agency. They ended up giving us a Nissan Versa, which is not a big car. Steve, on the other hand, is a big guy, so he looks so funny getting in and out of the car! We've named it the Blueberry a la "Psych" and it will be our tiny clown car for the week!

We are staying at the historic Francis Marion hotel which is very lovely. The first thing that happened on the way up the elevator, was a guy who told us that he and his wife whined to the front desk because the rooms were too small, so they were given a two room suite.  Huh.  I wasn't sure if we were supposed to be impressed or what.  I don't know about you, but I tend to do a bit of research before going to a new place, and if I don't like what I see, I change my plans.  But you know what?  You do you, whiny guy. Congratulations, I guess. 

Personally, I liked what we got. The rooms aren't huge, but we don't really need a huge room so it doesn't matter. There are two doors just inside of the room door.  One leads to a really big (for a hotel at least) closet, and the other leads to the smallest bathroom I've ever seen in a hotel.  Like...for those of you who have seen the front bathroom at our house, it could fit comfortably inside that with about 1/3 of the room left over!  I don't mind the small bathroom, but wow.

After we got settled, we decided to go downstairs to the Swamp Fox restaurant and have dinner. It was probably for the best we didn't try and go out anywhere, because a fairly bad thunderstorm blew in around that time.  The food was all very good, and by the time we were done eating, Steve and I were exhausted. It's strange how just sitting around can be so tiring.

I will be on my own during the day for the next three days while Steve is working and I've gotten a lot of good advice about seeing the city, so I'm excited about exploring! Steve and I are staying an extra day to spend a little time together, so that should be fun too!  There is a lot to see and I want to have lots of fun!   

So let's get on with it!

No comments: