Monday, September 19, 2011

RANDOM ACTS OF BLOGGING

1) Honestly, I wish more was going on in my life to write about.  I even bore myself. 

2) I bought a bathing suit the other day.  Blarg.  I think we all know how I feel about wearing a bathing suit, and it's precisely why I haven't even owned one in years.  I actually ordered it online from a place called Pin Up Girl Clothing, because secretly I want to own one of everything they sell.  I received said bathing suit (the one piece with the cherries on it, in case you're curious) and I can't say I'm impressed with the outcome of myself in the thing.  Eh, I wasn't expecting a miracle!  Also, the suit is super cute, so I'm not going to complain too much, and I will wear it.  Out.  In public.  *gulp*  Oh well, at least I haven't reduced myself to wearing a Victorian era bathing dress!  :)

3) I felt so stupid at church yesterday.  Oy.  While I'm running A/V for the service, one of the things I've gotten used to doing is signaling the ushers when it's time to walk to the front of the sanctuary to collect offering.  Usually, I let them know when it's time to get ready and when it's time to walk.  Yesterday, some changes were made on the order of services, and I got lost on the list.  I somehow managed to send the guys down an entire song early.  It wouldn't have been so bad if the man I was feverishly waving at to just GO didn't try to tell me I was wrong.  Since I was clearly convinced that he was wrong, I just signaled to the guys on the other side to go and since they did, everyone did...and that's when I realized I was wrong after all.  Granted, few people realized anything was amiss, but I was so embarrassed.  I probably wouldn't have been as embarrassed if I hadn't just been sitting there thinking: "I'm organized and I know what's going on today, why is that guy not doing what I say?!"  Luckily they forgave my incompetence. 

4) Other than miscuing ushers, guess what I did this weekend?  I played Portal for the first time and I loved it!  I'd known about Portal for a long time, and I knew the pop culture bits of it (The Cake Is A Lie) but I'd never had a chance to play it.  Luckily, I was able to download the game for free and it completely consumed me for hours.  I don't usually get that caught up with video games, unless I'm playing very specific ones with friends, but this one was fun!  Also, for not having a clue how to play it before hand, I was pretty good at it!  I did finally have to read some hints and walkthroughs on the last few levels, but I tried to keep that to a minimum unless I got completely confused.  In the end, I finally defeated GLaDOS - which creeped me out, by the way.  The whole game did.  It was just weird.  Now I am going to get Portal 2!  I'm the kind of dork these game companies love, I'm sure.

At the very end, while the player is scrambling to defeat the giant computer bad-guy, it taunts you the whole time that you're destroying it's various parts.  One line really stuck out for me.  GLaDOS says

"You've been wrong about every single thing you've ever done, including this thing. You're not smart. You're not a scientist. You're not a doctor. You're not even a full-time employee. Where did your life go so wrong?"

All I could think of was "Wow, did the HR department for the SpRocket (ptooey) write this game?"  Heehee.

I did learn one important thing during all the game playing.  At some point while I was playing, I got sick.  Really sick.  It was the worst kind of car sick feeling I'd had in years, and that includes the 2006 New Years Eve incident.  At first I thought I really was sick, and that something was terribly wrong with me.  I took medicine and chowed down on ginger, and everything I could think of, but nothing worked.  I finally stepped away from the computer for a while and felt better.  It just turned out that first player shooter games make me really motion sick.  I'm so hard-core!  :)

5) I've been having a string of weird nightmares lately.  They aren't the sit up and scream kind, but they are unsettling.  I only clearly remember parts of two of them.  In one, I'm being murdered over and over again.  It isn't like I'm waking up when I'm killed, like a normal person would, it's almost like I'm being reincarnated immediately into someone else that's being murdered.  Oh, and every incarnation is being killed by being stabbed with poison needles.  What would Freud say about that, I wonder?  :)  The other one was not a violent nightmare, but it was about a homeless girl I meet and try to help get a job.  I help her put together a resume and give her recommendations, but no one will hire her because they don't want to hire someone who is associated with me.  She tries and tries to get work, but because I helped her, she can't get hired.  Then she gets hit by a bus, and for some reason it's my fault because I couldn't help her get a job.  I don't understand how the last part was my fault, but it didn't make me feel any better.  Poor imaginary homeless girl.  :(

6) Congratulations are in order for my friend Jason who just got engaged to his loverly girlfriend!  Good luck, you guys! 

7) Also, send out some good vibes to another couple of my friends who will be moving to Birmingham to pursue bigger, better, and more financially stable things!  I hope everything goes perfectly and that they are successful in all of their endeavors!  

1 comment:

Jigsawdiva said...

I have the red ruffly one-piece from PinUpGirlClothing. :)