Monday, May 21, 2012


Wow, I haven't done a weekend update in a long time! 

Friday night I helped some of the people from Steve's band receive and sort the yard sale stuff.  I'm fairly certain that I breathed in enough dust mites to start a colony in my lungs, but a lot of stuff was donated at least.  As I was going through boxes, I realized that every yard sale I've ever been to has variations of the same kind of stuff I was seeing.  Where do people get this crap to begin with?  You know what I'm talking about, right?  The weird little figurines, candle holders, mugs and random odds and ends that I can't imagine ever being able to find outside of a yard sale or garage sale, but they had to come from someplace.  I don't know, it's just odd.  I finally gave out at around 9:00 that night and had to leave.  I was so tired that I'd almost fallen asleep behind one of the tables.

Saturday, Steve had volunteered us to be back at the church at 5:30 in the morning to help set up and work the sale.  Nice, right?  Bleh.  We got there and moved everything outside, and then started waiting.  I don't know if you've ever worked a yard sale before, but they are a study in patience.  The first customers came in and bought a ton of stuff that seemed fairly random, but who knows.  After that people trickled in and out.  I helped out as much as I could, and several times my old customer service voice popped out.  It's bad!  It's about an octave higher than my regular voice and it grates on my nerves, but it's second nature to me when I'm dealing with people I don't know.  Yuck.  Very few of the things we brought sold, at least while I was there, so I must have really bad taste in brick-a-brack.  :)  I met a lot of nice people who play in the band, so that was fun.  Oh, and luckily, I didn't end up buying much stuff to bring home with us.  All I got was a few books, and who can resist cheap books, amiright?  Oh, and also Phillip, the otter. He's very small, so he won't take up much room.

How could I say no to that face?

It was a gorgeous day, and a perfect one for having a yard sale, but I was tired of being outside by the time the "shift change" happened and was glad to go home.  We stopped and picked up lunch, and by the time I finished eating the late night and early morning had caught up with me.  I was exhausted.  I only meant to take a power nap, but it raged out of control.  I felt much better when I woke up, and Steve and I decided to go see "Dark Shadows."  I loved that show when I was a kid, which surprises me since I was such a scardey cat, and the movie had Johnny Depp in weird makeup and for whatever reason, that works for me.  The movie was weird, but pretty good.  It was a nice way to pass a couple of hours, at least.  After that we had dinner and watched some old episodes of the "Dick Van Dyke" show, which holds up pretty well after all these years.  It was a nice day.

Sunday we had church, and after we had lunch with Mr. Lee, Steve and I headed out towards the wilds of Limestone County to go to a graduation party for my nephew, Logan.  I can't believe he's graduating!  It seems way too soon for him to be 18! If I were my sister, I'd be a wreck. I don't think I could handle being a mom.  Eesh.  A lot of my aunts were there ( I swear they never seem to get old!) and it was great seeing them.  I also met quite a few of Logan's buddies, and they were a lot of fun to talk to, too.  Now we just have Logan's graduation this Friday and then he will officially be a grown up.  Well, grown-up-ish.  It makes me feel very old indeed.

That night we had church again, and I was so tired I fell asleep twice behind the sound board.  Luckily I didn't miss any cues!  I was so glad to get home and go to bed.  It had been a really long weekend.

1 comment:

travel is fun...... said...

this weekend sounds nice...