Monday, June 18, 2012

RANDOM ACTS OF BLOGGING

Hey!  I'm back!   Oof.  I haven't written on here for a long time, but I have reasons! Maybe not great reasons, but I have them.  :)  Actually, I've been somewhere between really stinking busy, distracted, and asleep, so pick whichever one you like the best and run with it.

1) Two weeks ago I was back at Vacation Bible School running A/V for the assemblies.  I wasn't even around the kids that much and it still exhausted me.  I'm not kidding.  I was at the church between 8:30 and 12 every day. I would maybe talk to a few kids before things got started, and on one memorable occasion I stayed in a hallway with some of the smallest kids while their teacher was in another room for a minute or two, and it was all I could do to make it back to the sound booth and collapse.  I'm convinced that children suck the vitality out of anyone who happens to be in the same building with them, whether or not they actually interact with them.  Oy.  By the time I'd leave for the day, I'd have to go home and take a nap, which makes me feel so very old.

The preacher also asked me to help out a bit in the office, which I didn't mind doing, but he seems to think I know a lot more about IT stuff than I actually do.  I guess since I'm married to Steve I'm supposed to know how to fix computers, and I suppose I've picked up a few things, but I certainly don't know nearly as much as some people assume I do.  Luckily I knew enough to help him out, so it wasn't a complete bust.  He also asked me to add things to the church website, which I was completely unfamiliar with, but the program turned out to be super easy to figure out, so that was good.  All in all it was a great week, except for the chronic fatigue I suffered because of the litttle energy vampires.

2) The whole cabinet adventure has gotten underway, and the kitchen is a complete wreck. While I stayed with my brother this past weekend (Mom and Grant were on their annual pilgrimage to Atlanta) Steve and his dad spent Saturday yanking out appliances, capping off water pipes,  and generally causing necessary mayhem.  As of Saturday afternoon, I have no way to cook or wash dishes, and no counter space to prepare anything that doesn't require cooking, so trying to figure out the food situation has been grim.  We haven't even found a place to plug in the microwave yet, so mostly we've been getting take out.  Don't get me wrong, I like fast food, but I don't love how it makes me feel when I've eaten a lot of it!  I'm also certain that the dietician is going to have a stroke when I have to go back and see her this week and tell her what I've been eating!  At any rate, I'm excited that the process of getting the new cabinets has begun, but now that means I'll be packing dishes, cooking tools, and food into weird places all over the house until the cabinets are installed.

3) Oooooh, but speaking of food!  Mr. Lee's fruit has arrived early and he's given us a cubic ton of the most gorgeous blueberries, blackberries and peaches!  The blueberries are huge and sweet, and I've made muffins and pancakes with them so far.  I've also used the dehydrator I got for my birthday to dry some of the blackberries and blueberries.  The blueberries are weird when they're dry, but they're still darn tasty.  The blackberries are also good, but very fragile.  They don't taste like much and they're kind of seedy, but I like them.  They are a really good and filling snack!  The peaches, though...y'all....the peaches.  You have no idea how amazing the peaches that Mr. Lee grows are.  They smell so good!  When I got the first batch from him, I just stood there and sniffed them for two days.  I wanted to waller on them like a dog.  I guess I finally understand why they do that!  They are just some of the best fruit I've ever eaten, though.  Perfect and soft and delicious.  I wish I knew how to make them last longer though.  I know I can freeze them, but I hate to do that because I know they won't taste the same.  Honestly, since Mr. Lee has been giving us peaches, I usually only eat peaches once a year because none of the odd ones I've gotten here and there from the grocery store even come close.

4) I sang Via Dolorosa in church yesterday morning. It was the first time several of our newer members have ever heard me sing it.  Our new youth minister came over to me and said "Wow, I didn't know you could speak Spanish!"  I hated to tell him that the one verse of that song is really the extent of the Spanish I know, and I don't even really know what I'm saying.  He said "But, you had the accent and everything..."  So, I'd like to thank Chani Sanford (wherever you are these days) for teaching me my Latina accent!  Pamplemousse Perez:  fooling people into thinking she's bilingual for 13 years!  :)  Gracias, Chani!

No comments: