Wednesday, June 20, 2012

NOW SHOWING

Today has been a blah day.  I woke up in the wee hours of the morning feeling like death due to,  I assume at least, mild food poisoning and/or Ebola.  Yes, I either ate something slightly off, or I've contracted a rare, deathly, hemorrhagic disease.  I can only guess that it feels the same to have either.  :)

Anyways, I've been mostly dragging around the house, and in between continuing to try to clean all of the detritus out of the cabinets and sprawling listlessly across many of our household surfaces, I've been on an epic YouTube journey.  I can't even remember where it started but I've become fascinated by a few of the Japanese feeds I've discovered and I thought I'd share them with you, because...why not. You may not be as interested in these things as I am, but I'll tell you about them anyways!

I actually first came across this guy a few months ago.  The user goes by the name RRcherrypie, and his channel has become very, very popular as of late.  If you want me to be honest, I'm completely fascinated by his videos, but I have no idea why.  That's not a joke, I really don't know what it is about his videos that is so interesting to me.  He basically takes different kinds of weirdly complicated Japanese candy or craft kits and makes them for the camera. He also seems to be an enthusiast for a type of vintage Japanese toy called Konapun, which is some kind of miniature kitchen sets and fake food.  He never talks, there is no background music, and the only sounds are the ones he makes opening the packages and mixing things up.   He's also completely meticulous with whatever he's doing. Whatever he makes, it's always beautifully presented.  It's oddly soothing.  I've watched several of his videos over and over.  This video is one of the first I saw, and the stuff he's making is an actual candy kit you can make and eat.




If that sort of thing interests you, there are a couple of other people who do very similar videos: MarimoMarshmallow and Bonobos25.

This next one is kind of similar to the guy above, but instead of just doing candy and toys, this person actually makes pastries, desserts and other stylized, but otherwise regular, foods.  I think this is more interesting to me because it shows the cultural differences between the ingredients and foods we normally see.  Mosogourmet shows how to make more traditional kinds of Japanese foods, which are still much cuter than what we have!  One of the things I really enjoy is when they show the tools they use to make some of these things.  They are so specific and unusual. 



This last one is more on par with what I would consider a regular cooking show, except that it's called "Cooking With Dog" (not what you think, by the way), and it's narrated by a poodle that has a French by way of Japanese accent.  At least, I think that's what it is.  It's definitely a Japanese guy doing the voice for the dog, but I think he's trying to do a French accent.  Someone watch one of these and tell me if I'm right!  Anyway, the recipes are all very traditional Japanese things and the woman who makes them is kind of adorable.



Don't get me wrong, I do watch other things other than Japanese cooking stuff, but these have been my favorites recently!  Hopefully you'll like one of these too.  :)

No comments: