Friday, August 25, 2017

BLOGGED AFTER THE FACT: PART 2 - TEQUILA BAD

Friday morning we got up relatively early and set off towards New Smyrna Beach!  Sara drove, thank goodness, and time seemed to go so much faster with someone to talk to!  It only took us about three hours to get there, so we got there well before we could check into our apartment, but that was fine.  We drove around and got to know the area a bit.

We stopped and got provisions for the apartment, had lunch at a tiny place called Cafe Verde, and wondered about until it was time to check it.  We LOVED the apartment.  It was small, to be sure, but so cute and perfect for what we needed.  We got settled and changed clothes, and decided to ride one of the provided bicycles down to the beach to check it out.  Unfortunately, that didn't go so well.  There were quite a few bikes in the little shed, but none of them were in great condition.  They weren't anything fancy, just regular bikes like we rode as kids, but Sara had not ridden a bike in a very long time.  I'd peddled one of the bikes to the end of the driveway to wait on her, when behind me I heard a crash.  Sara, bless her heart, and gotten on and promptly fallen off of her bike.  It was too tall for her, and the gears were rusted from exposure to salt (I assume) so when she tried to pedal, the bike hadn't gone too far.  Oops.  To my credit, I never laughed.  Ok, yes I did, but only after the fact.  She scraped up her leg pretty good, but she got it cleaned up and we walked the 80 or so yards to the beach. Screw you, rusty bicycles!

The beach was beautiful, of course!  We walked around and stepped out into the very warm water, and I looked for shells.  There weren't that many there, so I don't know if that is normal, or if it's the time of year, or what, but I found a few.  We'd brought some beach mats with us, so Sara sat and rested while I walked around some more.   It was very nice.  We had accidentally sat our mats down too near the edge of the surf, so once I came back and sat down next to Sara, a wave came and surrounded us!  It almost made off with my shoes!  Haha.  After that we decided that we would save the beach for another day and go get something to eat.

We went back to the apartment and looked in the little travel book for a restaurant.  One of the great things about New Smyrna Beach was that there weren't any (that I know of, anyway) chain places around, so we'd get to try something new each time!  That night we picked Blackbeard's Inn,  which seemed to be a very popular local place, and we had such a good time!  We also had cocktails, which might have been part of why we had such a good time.  Sara said hers didn't seem to have any alcohol in it, but mine sure did. Yikes. Ok, look, y'all, I like tequila. I just do. Pretty much anything else is gross to me, but I like tequila, so I got two margaritas.  That was too many for me, due to my low alcohol tolerance, but at least I didn't do anything embarrassing.  I did, however, tell Sara all of my secrets and now I can never make her angry, or she'll ruin my life.  :)  Everything got very fuzzy for a bit and I had trouble walking to the car, but I didn't take off any of my clothes and I didn't French kiss a stranger, so at least there was that!  Thankfully, even though the alcohol hit me pretty hard, it didn't bother me for long.  By the time we'd made it back to our place, I was only just a little silly and we sat up and talked for a long time before finally going to sleep. 


No comments: