Thursday, August 31, 2017

BLOGGED AFTER THE FACT: PART 4 - DAY OF REST

Sunday we were going to get up in time to watch the sun rise from the beach.  Of course, when the alarm went off, I turned to Sara and asked "Do you still want to get up?"  The response was "murflemurflemurfle" which I took to mean, "No thank you, please!" and so we slept blissfully for another couple of hours. 

Hey, the sun comes up every day.  We'll watch it another time. 

When we finally did get up for realsies, we got ready to head down to the beach.  That day had been set aside for all beach, all day!  Woo-Hoo!  We packed up our cooler and our chairs and all of the other accoutrements, and drove down to the shore.  One of the surprisingly awesome things about this beach is that it is wide and flat enough that they allow driving and parking right out on the sand.  Normally I would hate that, I think, but there was so much room that the cars didn't get in the way and it was very convenient to have your vehicle so close by.  I didn't understand the desire to drive along the length of the beach, but I guess people need to cruise somewhere. 

Once we got settled, we sat for a while and watched people come and go.  It was really very nice.  Well, except that Sara's chair (provided by the Air BnB place) had a rip in it that kept getting bigger and bigger until she was barely hanging on for dear life. We read for a while, and then I left her behind to walk around a bit.  I didn't feel like swimming, so I only got into the water up to my knees, but it was nice to just be there. It wasn't that hot, and it was a bit cloudy, but it was wicked humid out there. I'd look down and water would have condensed all over me.  It was really strange!

We hadn't been there for long, but when I went back to our spot, Sara was looking kind of pale. She wasn't feeling well, and after a few minutes of trying to convince her that I wouldn't be upset if we left, she allowed us to pack up the car and drive back to the apartment.  Dunno what was wrong, but she must have felt terrible.  When we got back, she fell asleep and stayed asleep for a long, long time.  In the mean time, I showered and changed, and sat by the bed reading and hoped she wasn't going to die. Granted, that's a huge overstatement, but I was worried!  I finally went out on the balcony so as not to disturb her and I fell asleep out there, myself.  Naps are awesome!

I have no idea how long I was out there, but Sara was awake and feeling much, much better, so we decided to drive around a bit and get lunch.  We ate at a place called "Yellow Dog Eats" and it was wonderful.  They have great barbecue and our waiter looked a lot like Jesus, so it was awesome!  We drove around a bit after that, just talking and looking around, until we decided it would be a good idea to go back and clean the place up.  That's one of the rules, to clean up after yourself, so we did so and then packed up what we could before the next day so it wouldn't take us as long in the morning. 

We decided to eat much later in the evening, so we searched around until we found something still open and settled on the NSB Seashack, which was delightful, even if their live music was, eh...coffee shop level at best.  We still had a good time! 

Unfortunately, this was our last night there and just like any trip where you're having a good time, the fact that we were leaving the next day loomed.  Boo! We resigned ourselves to the fact and went to bed.  I wished we'd had several more days, but until I can become independently wealthy and not need to go back to work, I suppose all vacations will have to end at some point! 

No comments: