Monday, October 30, 2017

RANDOM ACTS OF BLOGGING

1) Saturday evening, Steve and I attended a wedding out in Big Spring Park.  We didn't really know the couple, but Steve was hired to play his trumpet as an accompaniment to the pianist (who is the pianist at our church and stepmother to the bride.)  It was a lovely ceremony and Steve sounded great.

Y'all...it was cold.  

It was, at most, 49 degrees.  We were sitting right on the edge of the water and the wind was blowing.  I felt sorry for the bridesmaids, because none of them were wearing sleeves!  I was wearing a long sleeved dress, boots, a thick coat and a scarf and I was still cold.  Steve had it even worse because he had to keep his horn warm and wasn't wearing gloves or a coat.  Granted, I know October in the South is usually still warm, but this was not a usual warm October day. There were maw maws out there that had to be wrapped in blankets! How will that couple feel if someone's grandmother dies because they got pneumonia sitting outside at their wedding?

Couples take everyone's life in their hands when they get married outside in Alabama. If you're reading this and are considering having an outdoor wedding, just...no.  Please.  You'll either get everyone killed in a tornado, choke them on pollen, they will fry to death, or they'll freeze.  Alabama is not a place where being outdoors is pleasant except for just a few days a season. You can't possibly know which days they will be!  We live in the Bible Belt.  You can find a church on every corner, some of which are air conditioned!  If you aren't particularly religious, there are many interesting and beautiful historical locations, or even places of local interest that host weddings - ALL INDOORS! Take pity on the people you have invited to your nuptials.  Think of the maw maws.

2) We had our annual church picnic yesterday and I got to run the cotton candy booth again!  I like doing that.  It's fun.  Not only do I get to run a machine that melts sugar, I get to hand over a wad of colored candy to smiling little kids.  In fact, everyone I gave cotton candy to smiled.  It was nice.  You can't be mad or sad while eating cotton candy.  I enjoyed myself. I also don't want to eat cotton candy again for a very long time.

What I didn't enjoy was the wind.  It was cold outside and the wind was blowing, and even though the machine had a hood over it, the wind would get inside of it and blow the candy all over me.  I was plated with it.  It was in my hair and on my clothes and stuck to my face!  Even my eyelashes were sticky with it.  I tried combing my hair when I got home and I couldn't get the comb to go through my hair at all.  It was gross.  Silver lining, though, I smelled heavenly and if you licked my face, you'd get a sugar high!

3) here's a mini update on my brother: He's actually doing a bit better than he was.  He's able to drink a little bit, and he seems to feel a little bit better.  He does still get sick every few days, but not as badly as he was before.  Thanks for all of the positive vibes, and keep them coming.
  

No comments: