Tuesday, July 03, 2018

BLOGGED ALONG THE WAY: VIVA ESPAÑA EDITION: JUNE 15

Oooh, y'all...

Last night when I finally took my shoes off, I saw that my feet and legs were swollen up to where they didn't even look like people feet anymore!  It was so gross!  I don't know if it was because of walking so much, or because I have gotten stuck not being able to move my feet and legs for hours at a stretch on the bus, but yuck.  I'm too cute to have feet that look like that!

Anyways, today we would be traveling to a new destination, which I was very excited about!  We headed to the Costa del Sol in Malaga, on the coast of the Mediterranean sea!  I was going to stand on the coast of an ocean that I'd never seen before!  Neato!  But first we had to get there, which was a day long situation.  It involved a lot more sitting in an uncomfortable bus, and a lot more falling half asleep as we drove through more farmland (still very beautiful) and rural areas.  Actually, during my awake moments, I really thought the drive was lovely.  We saw what I assume were a lot of independent farms, more sunflower fields, and fields of some kind of bright yellow flowers that looked like mist.  It was so pretty.

On the way, we stopped in a town called Ronda, which is in Malaga, Spain. We didn't learn very much about the place, other than being told that it was a tourist stop, so the Wikipedia page can tell you way more about it than I can. When we got there, we had to walk a long way to the place where they wanted to let us loose, which happened to be next to the oldest bull fighting ring in Spain. Steve, Anthony, and a woman named Kayla that we'd been hanging out with, all decided that they wanted to tour the ring, but I demurred.  I don't approve of bull fighting at all.  I mean, you guys know I'm not a vegetarian, and I'll eat beef all day and all night, but just the idea of someone stabbing a poor bull to death with spears for fun gives me the heebies.

 Ole, bitches!

I told them to go ahead without me, which apparently made me seem like a party pooper, but screw that. I'm not going to pay to go into a bovine colosseum!  I didn't tell any of them why I didn't want to go, just that I'd rather look around, which I did.  Ronda is a very pretty city, and had a lot of beautiful buildings. I also found out that Earnest Hemmingway and Orson Wells spent summers in Ronda, so...neato, I guess. I walked along the shopping streets and looked around a bit.  I met everyone back at the bull ring gift shop, so I wasn't alone for very long.



We had lunch at a little cafe where we got churros and hot chocolate!  YUM! YUM SQUARED!


After we left Ronda, we made our way to the coast, and it. Took. Forever. Exclamation Point.

We were told it would take about an hour to go from one place to another, but it actually took three.  Our tour guide, bless him, really underestimates how long it takes to get places.  It was a beautiful drive through the Montes de Málaga Natural Park (I think) though, so it wasn't that bad, but I was very tired of being in the bus by then.  Oy.

We finally made it to our destination and got checked into our hotel, which is supposed to be some kind of resort place, but it is...kind of a nightmare.  Don't get me wrong, it's a nice enough hotel, but it is so damn full of people that trying to do anything is uncomfortable. There are screaming children everywhere, and even trying to get dinner in the hotel restaurant was difficult!  I was so tired, and my feet were swollen up again (WHAT IS MAKING THEM DO THAT?!) and I was tired of being around people.  We were supposed to go to a flamenco show tonight, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I just wanted to be in some quiet for a while. I felt bad because Steve was looking forward to the show and was kind of bummed that I didn't want to go, but I knew I wouldn't enjoy myself. I told him to go ahead and I'd just stay in the room and rest. So that's what I did. I took advantage of the quiet and not-being-around-other-people, which was nice.  Steve came back a couple of hours later and showed me his pictures and that's how we ended our day.  Tomorrow we get almost the entire day free, which I'm looking forward to. It'll be nice not having to go anywhere.  I'm tired, yo. Still having a blast, but very tired.  Goodnight! 

No comments: