Monday, July 23, 2018

BLOGGED AFTER THE FACT- FRANCE TO HOME! JUNE 20

OK, not gonna lie.  I didn't have it in me to write about the day we left France on the day we left France. Or the next day. Or the next day.

It's been over a month, and I'm just now starting to climb back on top of the jet lag and being tired from the trip.  We had an amazing, AMAZING time, but I am old and cranky and I need sleep.  So about the end of our trip...

Let me explain... No, there is too much.  Let me sum up.

We got to sleep in a bit that Thursday before being taken to the Charles de Gaulle airport, wherein we had a heck of a time getting checked in. I still don't know what the deal was, but almost everyone in our group had a problem getting our bags checked and getting our boarding passes.  By the time we got all that finished, we had just enough time to go to the bathroom before we started to board. 

Me, and the brown kid in front of me, were "randomly selected" to be searched.  A very nice French man got to see me pull up my shirt and run a metal wand around the waistband of my pants.  I think by French law he's my second husband now.

The flight was...long. LONG. My kingdom for one day figuring out how to complain to the right people to get moved into first class during an overseas flight for some trifling reason.  Seriously, can someone teach me how to be the kind of jerk who makes that happen?

Air France did their best to keep us comfortable, though, I'll give them that.  A woman a row up from us had some kind of food allergy and monopolized the flight attendants attention and they forgot to give Steve and me any dinner, but once they realized what they did, they fell all over themselves to fix the issue.  The head attendant came and personally apologized and offered to give us more food or anything else we wanted. We were a little taken aback, because it wasn't a huge deal, but it was kind of them to do all of that. We said we didn't need anything, but they insisted on doing something, so we let them bring is a glass of champagne.  So I was tipsy and/or asleep for the next hour or so!  Haha.  Yep, still really dehydrated!

We landed in Atlanta, went through customs, rented a mini-van, and Steve, Anthony, Kayla and Me made our way back home.  Steve drove, and I don't know how he did it because the rest of us were dozing off.  I tried so hard to stay awake to talk to him and keep him awake, but I kept falling asleep!  We finally got Anthony and Kayla delivered to their respective homes and Steve and I headed back to our own house.  Unfortunately, Steve dozed off and ran off the road, but we are ok.  It scared both of us enough to stay awake all the way home!  Silver Lining! 

Now we're back, and I am very glad to be home.  I did get my alone time and lots of it, as it turned out, because Steve had to go to Alaska for work. It took about three weeks to really get back into the swing of things, which is pitiful, but we were really running ragged by the end.  I had an absolute blast and would love to go back to both countries again, but there is still so much world to see that maybe I'll go someplace new next time! :) 

Thanks for reading about my trip!  There are still a few anecdotes that I'll talk about later, but for now, let's get back to real life, shall we?

No comments: