Monday, October 22, 2018

A WHOLE LOT OF RANDOM ACTS OF BLOGGING

1) Oh, Lord, y'all....I had a very full weekend!  I'm not complaining, as I enjoyed everything, but it is Monday morning , and if I could take off all of this week just to recover from the weekend, I would.

2) I spent the night at my mom's house Thursday night so that I could stay with my brother the next day while my mom had a procedure on her eye (thankfully nothing serious, but it involved lasers which is a little scary.) I like my mom's house because it is so clean!  She complains about it being messy, but it isn't at all.  It's like a vacation from my own house that still hasn't recovered from our wall remodel! Also, she has a shower the size of my whole bathroom, which I fully appreciate.

Tommy is still doing about the same, although he has persistent fevers that none of the doctors or nurses can figure out. They told my mom that she could send him to a hospital and he could be extensively tested on, or she could keep him at home and make sure he's comfortable. She has chosen to keep him at home. He is so incredibly fragile that I am terrified to take care of him in case I hurt him somehow, but we did ok. I gave him lots of hugs and kisses and I let him play "Got Your Nose" with me, because for some reason pinching my nose makes him inordinately happy.  That rascal took my nose a hundred times, and in the end refused to give it back, so it's still under his pillow, I guess.  He also got me in a bear hug before I left, and even though he is thin and weak, he can still hug like a bear! Hehe.

Of all the things in the world I don't understand, I really don't understand why he, of all people, is going through this kind of hell.  I don't even know how to pray about it. I suppose it's one of those "by and by" things I hear so much about, huh?

3) Friday night we went out with some of Steve's coworkers and I'm so glad he works with nice people who like me. We had to set up a tent in the downtown area for a race that was going on the next day, so we headed to downtown proper and went to a local brewery and a new restaurant that had opened up a few months ago.  We had a good time, although I think I had more to drink than I should have, i.e. I had two pints of cider instead of just one. I know, I'm a total lush, right?  Actually, I misread the ABV info on the cider and I didn't realize until it was too late. Oops. I didn't embarrass myself or do anything stupid, but I was just a little floopy before it was all over. 

4) I did wake up in the middle of the night regretting the cider because I was supposed to be running in the race the next day.  It was the fifteenth annual Liz Hurley Ribbon Run 5K, which I told you about before (I think.)  There were 6,500 registered participants, and I was number 4146! I didn't realize until the day of that the race was going to be timed, so that was fun! Steve works with a woman who is a survivor of breast cancer, and his company got together a group of people to participate in the race. I was excited about it, because I'd wanted to do another 5K, and hadn't been able to find one that really interested me. This was for a good cause and I wouldn't be running alone!  I didn't practice very much before the race, which was stupid.  I know it's just a 5K, but most people can't just wake up one morning and decide to run that far without doing a little bit of preparation. I kept thinking I'd have more time, but I didn't. Totally my fault. At any rate, I knew I wanted to run as much of it as possible, so that's what I did. Steve was going to walk the whole thing, but I pulled him into the runners area with me and so he didn't have a choice!  Haha! It was cold and raining, so it wasn't the best weather for running, but we were ready to go!

Ok, in light of full disclosure, I did walk a lot of the course. I just wasn't fit enough and I run slowly.  I like to run, but I'm very bad at it.  I don't just mean I'm slow, though. I don't think I run...right?  Is that a thing?  I feel like I'm stomping the ground instead of smoothly running, and I get out of breath so quickly, but I soldiered on as hard as I could.  I did manage to run the fastest mile I've ever run. It was less than I expected, and even with walking, I didn't do too badly time wise.  Steve can run faster than me (even though, unfairly, he never walks, runs, or exercises as much as I do...grrr) so when we'd do our running parts he'd get ahead of me and stop to wait. I told him not to, but he insisted, which I know is nice, but I felt bad holding him back.  He did decide to leave me on the final stretch, which was fine.  He beat me by two minutes almost exactly!  I finished at a perfectly average time of about 46 minutes and change, so I was solidly in the middle of the 6,500 people who started out.  I'm ok with that, though. I didn't need to be fast, I just wanted to finish before it was all over! I can get better if I want. Like I said, I like running, but I don't think I want it to become my only hobby, so it'll be a process. In the end we were tired, wet, cold and covered in glitter, but we had a good time!

5) Right after the race, and I mean I just had time to change out of my wet shirt before we left again, we went to Steve's band picnic, which was cold, wet and also unfortunately poorly attended. There were less than twenty of us shivering in the pavilion, eating sandwiches and talking, but it was nice. I was really ready to go home, though, because I was so, so, so tired.  Everything was hurting by then, and being cold for so long wasn't helping matters.  We finally went home and got dry and fell asleep for a while.  It was much better when we woke up, but everything still hurt! I'm pretty sure I rattled some bones that hadn't been rattled in a while!

6) Sunday I got someone to cover me on the sound board at night, and Steve, Anthony and I went to do autumnal things in a corn maze and a zombie splatter!  I think we were probably too old to do most of the stuff, but we enjoyed getting, literally, lost in the corn maze.  We wound up exiting out the way we got in, so I've decided that we are very bad at corn mazes.  We also shot a pneumatic corn cannon, which was a little scary, but fun!  The zombie splatter was a new thing to me, but it was clearly the most fun. There is a big flatbed on wheels that is rigged with mounted, air powered paint ball guns. Someone on a tractor takes you out into this course with overturned cars and drives through it while people dressed as zombies come at you, so you get to peg then with paint balls!  I really hope the actors were well padded, because I shot one of them in the crotch, like, five times.  It didn't last nearly long enough, though!

Afterwards we went to a diner and had cake, which was a very nice way to end my weekend!

7) Hope your weekend was just as nice!  I HUG YOU! (hug)

No comments: