Thursday, October 11, 2012


New Orleans, LA to Huntsville, AL
October 7, 2012

I woke up this morning with a layer of funk that seemed like an actual, tangible thing.  It wasn't cigarette smoke, and it wasn't a dirty-person smell, but I think it was a mixture of all of the nastiness that I came into contact with on Bourbon Street last night. It was more like I'd rolled around on the ground instead of just walking though. Ick.  I also awoke with my eyes hurting so badly that I could barely see.  I'm not sure what could have caused it, but it felt like my eyeballs and eyelids had a terrible sunburn.  It actually hurt to blink or  to even touch the skin around my eyes, and they were watering so badly that it looked like I was crying.  I guess it could have been smoke and whatever else had been in the air, but I'd never felt anything like that before.  Add to that the fact that I felt completely hungover (and I hadn't had a drop of alcohol during or after the reception, just in case you're curious) getting ready to go home today was hard.

I took a bath, not completely certain that soap and water was enough to get rid of the funk, and when I got out I was feeling a tiny bit more human.  Steve and I cleaned up the room, packed everything, and checked out.  I'll miss our little, purple hotel room, but I'll be glad to get away from the creepy painting.  Eeeeeesh.

We had forgone the hotel breakfast, deciding eat on the road instead.  I wish we'd stopped at one of the small restaurants near the hotel, but we didn't really think about it until we were already outside the city limits.  We'd actually planned on stopping at a store I'd heard about, but even with the GPS, we got turned around and couldn't find it.  We just decided we'd forgo it this time and just start home. We stopped briefly for a Cracker Barrel breakfast somewhere just past Slydell, and from there we were on our way!

I could barely keep my eyes open, and I know that Steve was having the same problem.  I hate going to sleep while Steve is driving because I'm afraid he'll fall asleep without someone to keep him talking.  Luckily we had some of those 5 hour energy things (yucky but useful) and we woke up a little bit more after that.

We stopped in Meridian, MS to get gas and stretch our legs, and getting out of the car was a shock!  It was cold!  We'd gone from hot and humid New Orleans, to actual, fall temperatures!  I was more than ready for that!

The rest of the drive was uneventful, and when we finally got home and got the car unpacked, we were exhausted.

I have to say that the trip for Sara's wedding was probably the most fun I'd had in a long, long time.  I told a friend that I hadn't even known I needed it, but a trip away from home and a little fun was just what the doctor ordered.  Now I think I just need a week or so to catch up on my sleep!  :)

I think I'm going to have wedding withdrawal now. I've been helping Sara make stuff for her wedding for the past year and a half, and now that it's all over, my project board looks sad and empty.  So, you know, if anyone needs anything covered in glitter...just let me know!

No comments: