Monday, October 08, 2012


October 5, 2012

This morning I awoke at what I'm pretty sure was the deepest crack of dawn with my eyes swollen up.  Apparently, there is something outside that hates me and wants me to die, starting with my eyes. I looked like Admiral Akbar.  Schexy!

We got up, got ready, and went to breakfast!  We were soon joined by the rest of Sara's party and after everyone was done, we left to head towards the French Quarter to do a bit of looking around.  Poor Steve had to stay behind because he had to catch up with the work he'd missed while he was on travel, and he had two conference calls to do.  Boo.

No, we didn't get Pat O'Brian hurricanes at 10:30 am, but we did get hats!

We grabbed a cab and made our way downtown, and then began our walk down to the French Quarter for coffee and beignets.  Along the way we stopped to look at the art along Jackson Square.  I saw tons of gorgeous stuff, but I couldn't afford any of it!  I wish I could have gotten one of the paintings, but I generally don't keep that that kind of scratch on me.  Someone in our party actually bought something, and we had an interesting talk with the artist while he wrapped everything up for her. He told us about Bill Traylor, an Alabama artist, which was very interesting!

Sigh.  One day...

We also got filmed for some sort of thing, but I don't know what it was for.  There was a guy who worked as a living statue, and we all grouped around him and wore weird hats while they filmed, so if you see us anywhere, let me know what was going on!

I will never be able to get my hair clean enough after wearing that hat!

We stopped at Cafe du Monde, and it was so hot that the thought of eating a sugary donut was too much for me, so I just got an iced coffee.  I swear, Cafe du Monde is the only place I can drink the coffee without sugar!  Delicious!  We moved down to the French Market, which is a big, open air place that sold all manner of things, and we shopped there for a while.  I got a couple of really great pieces, both locally handmade, so I was glad!  After we left there, we decided to to go to lunch, But the place where we wanted to go was kind of far off. I'm not sure how long we were walking around, but as we went I started to realize that I was getting sunburned!

NO!  You have no idea how careful I've been this summer, trying not to get a weird farmer's tan.  The sunblock, the big t-shirts and hats that I've worn while mowing the lawn, the sheer not-going-outside!  I knew that I'd be wearing a strapless dress and I didn't want to have stripes!  I didn't even think about getting sunburned while walking around down here, because it's October and it isn't supposed to be hot and/or sunburny!  So I did the only think I could think of and I ran to the closest store I could find and I bought a hat.  I bought a comically huge, Eliza-Doolittle-At-Ascot hat and wore that around for the rest of our walk.  It was dead sexy!  I looked like a chubby lamp with a huge shade.

We also found a Lush store, which I didn't know had a branch in New Orleans!  While we were looking around, Sara's step-daughter held up a bubble bath thing that was covered in gold glitter and asked me to smell it.  My depth perception was off and the dumb thing hit me right under my nose and left a very sparkly Hitler mustache.  I tried wiping it off, but it just spread around on my face, and my clothes, and my arms!  With the glitter and my hat, I looked like a deranged drag queen. Eh, when in NOLA, amiright? 

We had lunch at Acme Oyster House, and I ate the best shrimp po'boy I've ever had!  Oy, it was good.  By the time we'd finished eating, we were exhausted.  We decided to go back to the hotel and rest a while before the rehearsal later that evening.  Unfortunately, we didn't really have enough time to rest.  I had to shower and change, and almost immediately start getting redressed.

Steve and I decided to walk down to the wedding venue once we were ready, not realizing we were supposed to wait on everyone.  Oops!  Luckily they weren't that far behind, and we were able to get everything worked out as far as the ceremony went.  Sara's wedding coordinator wasn't there on time, but Leia, one of Sara's other bridesmaids, saved the day!  She was awesome, and I think she terrified the wedding coordinator into submission and all but had him on a leash by the time it was over.

We left the venue and walked over to Zea's, the restaurant where the rehearsal dinner was held, and it was great!  Everything turned out so nice!  The only dark spot, for me at least, was the toast I gave.  I've never done one before, and I got nervous.  Everyone else was being so heartfelt and weepy, and I wanted to say something awesome.  However, I'm fairly sure it was the worst toast ever given.  I honestly don't remember exactly what I said.  I suddenly got nervous, mentally blanked out, and when I came back to myself, I just know that I felt like I said something weird and probably inappropriate.  I don't think I ever want to do a toast again. Ever.  I hope Sara forgives me.  Eeeesh.

After the dinner, Steve and I came back to the hotel and now we're winding down.  Tomorrow is Sara's Big Day!  I'm so excited!

Oh, and my feet hurt.

Notable Sightings: Two living statue guys, who scared me stupid. I hate those guys. 

No comments: