Tuesday, October 13, 2015

A MEMORY

You guys know how bad I am about getting songs stuck in my head, right? 

Well, songs are not the only thing that get stuck in there.

Lately, I've had this memory that keeps popping up and  playing on a loop in my brain and I have no idea why.  I literally hadn't thought about this particular thing in years and years, and I certainly haven't held a grudge, so I'm not sure why I've been thinking about it.  Maybe if I tell other people about it, it'll go away.  It's worth a shot!

When I was in the 4th grade, I had just moved to a new school and I didn't have many friends. My sister and I rode the bus to school, and there was a girl from my class on our bus route.  She never talked to me, at all.  I'm sure I thought it was because she was a snob. I honestly don't remember.  Anyway, one day she got on the bus and sat next to me and started talking as if we were besties.  I was thrilled, of course, because I was 9 and lonely, and who doesn't want friends, right?  When we walked into school, it was raining, so we shared my umbrella and I thought I'd made a new friend!

The next day, when she got on the bus, she sat somewhere else, so I moved up and sat down with her.  She didn't say anything, but she got up and moved to another seat.  Since I was then, like I am now, apparently slow to get a hint, I moved over and sat down next to her again.  She moved again.  I didn't move again, but it slowly dawned on me that she had only been nice to me the day before because it was raining and she wanted to share my umbrella!  That heifer!

That was the day I learned that people will use you for whatever they want, and when you no longer serve that purpose, they'll just drop you.

Yeah, a sucky memory, but I don't know why it keeps popping into my head.  Is it a subconscious reminder that people can suck?  I have no idea!  Maybe I'm supposed to warn myself (or maybe you, I don't know how this works) not to use people and then ignore them! Or maybe it's a reminder to us all about umbrellas.

So, don't be a sucky person and always carry an umbrella!

No comments: