Thursday, October 01, 2009


Downtown Disney and Less Stressful Things


Today was a day set aside to rest after the non-stop exposure of the "Happiest Place on Earth." We still had things to do, of course, but none of those things included getting up early to catch a bus to a theme park! Yay!

Of course, in true Kelly fashion, I awoke early, even though I didn't want to. Apparently my internal clock thought it was funny to wake me up way before it was necessary. Stupid internal clock. After a time, I just couldn't stay in bed anymore no matter how much I might have wanted to. I got up and got ready for our day, and eventually Steve woke up as well. We spent some time getting our suitcases in order, packing away souvenirs (of which we had a lot), and trying to decide what we would do.

Our first order of business was to get breakfast. I was determined that I would finally be able to finish a muffin before we had to go someplace. See, the Port Orleans resort has this big dining hall that has all manner of delicious food. Each morning, I had gotten what I am convinced is the best banana muffin on the planet. They were tasty, but huge. Since I have to take my time eating, I was usually not quite done with my muffin each morning before we had to leave. Granted, I wasn't being rushed or anything, but I just eat so dang SLOW! I can't help it. Anyways, I finally got to eat the whole muffin! Yay, me!

After breakfast, we caught the ferry boat and rode down to Downtown Disney, which is basically a small village of shops and restaurants. The shopping is almost exclusively Disney centered, even though there are a few other things sprinkled in. I thought my feet and legs had finally gotten a respite from hurting, but after half an hour or so of walking, they hurt just as badly as before. I was pretty much used to it by then, though. We walked through a whole lot of shops, but surprisingly didn't buy very much of anything until we got to a place called "The Art of Disney" which was a place where you can buy both one-of-a-kind pieces of Disney art as well as posters and other things. We finally found a poster we had spent all week looking for, which was a really awesome, retro-style, travel poster for Tomorrowland. I also got a small print of the Haunted Mansion (I said don't judge me!) that I liked. We took our leave from there and went back to the resort. I was just too damn tired to want to do anything at this point, so once we got back to our room, I fell asleep while Steve went to the pool. I don't know how he had the energy, but I guess he found it somewhere. I woke up when he got back and it was late afternoon, almost evening, by that point.

We had reservations at "Kouzzina by Cat Cora" at another resort area for dinner, so we got dressed up nicer than normal (I still had to wear my flip-flops, though, because my feet were in no shape to wear heels. Classy, I know.) and went to ask someone at the resort how to get there. The guy at the info desk told us to take the bus to Epcot Center and then take a boat from there. We had no idea what he was talking about, because we hadn't seen any boats while at the park, but he works for the place and had to know what he was talking about. Right?

Wrong. We got there and found out that we needed to actually go to Disney's Hollywood Studios and catch a boat from there. So we waited in another long line, in the hot sun, for another bus to come and take us to the right park. I felt bad that we had dressed up, because we were hot and sweaty by the time we made it to the boat that would take us to the Boardwalk Resort where the restaurant was.

We finally made it there, and it was awesome!! If you don't know Cat Cora, I guess you could consider her a celebrity chef. She's one of the ones on Iron Chef America (which I love) and it was a lovely place. It wasn't fancy, but it was nice. We ended up having to sit on the same side of our table, which was weird for me, because the family next to us had pretty much taken up all of the room around them, but it wasn't that bad. The food was good, even thought Steve didn't like what he ended up ordering, but I enjoyed mine immensely. Since this place was included on our dining plan, dessert was included on our tab and I think somehow my dessert became some kind of Mickey Miracle. A true mousekateer stigmata, if you will. I ordered yogurt sorbet, with berries and mint syrup. It sounded fussy, but was actually very good. The berries and syrup were served separately from the sorbet in a small wine glass off to the side and you were supposed to pour them onto the sorbet. I did, and I swear that I didn't arrange any of the berries to do this but:
Three Words: Mickey. Mouse. Head.

I wouldn't have put it past the "Imagineers" at Disney to somehow distort gravity to cause this to happen, but I hope to God that there are some things they can't manipulate. Impressive. :)

After dinner, we made our way back to the resort and finished packing for our trip home tomorrow. We also watched TV while we did this, and did you know that at a Disney Resort, there are approximately 300 channels of nothing but Disney shows?

My feet are still killing me, and I am ready to go home, but it hasn't been a bad trip at all. I promise!

No comments: