Friday, November 06, 2009

FIDDLE-DEE-DEE

I have just recently re-discovered my very favorite book, "Gone With the Wind." I'm not actually reading it this time, but listening to the audio novel. It's quite a different experience to listen to it instead of reading it, but it's just as enjoyable.

It has been years since I've read it, but mainly because I couldn't find my copy of it anywhere. Since the 8th grade, when I first read the book, I've tried to remember to pick it up every couple of years and read it, even though I've learned it practically by heart. Reading it is like finding a pair of comfortable slippers that I thought I lost. I just kind of slide into the story and get comfy. :)

I remember opening it for the first time and getting completely sucked into the story. I had seen the movie a thousand times, but the book was so much better! I had actually forgotten how much I really did love this book until I started listening to it a couple of days ago. I actually read my first copy of it to pieces, literally. I remember the cover fell off and I think I lost about half of the second year of the civil war!

I wanted to be Scarlett O'Hara. I remember employing some of the "southern belle" stuff I learned from the book and finding out that it worked just as well on the boys I knew in real life as it did in the story! Not on everyone, of course, but I learned to use it when I needed to. Heeheehee! My mom even made me a Scarlett costume for Halloween one year, with one of those dresses with the big skirts and ruffles and everything. Shut up, I was adorable! :)

I think Scarlett was probably my hero for years, but alas, I didn't realize at the time that she wasn't exactly the best role model for a young girl to have! So, of course, with all of the things that I emulated about her, I think I also picked up some of her less desirable traits. I didn't realize that until much later, though!

Oh well, I won't worry about that now. I'll think about it tomorrow. :)

1 comment:

amy said...

Great post! I am on the last disc of the current audiobook I'm "reading" now, and I think I'm going to seek out GWTW next!