Monday, November 02, 2009

I have loved to read since I was in the third grade. I was indifferent about it up until then, but circumstance gave me a long car ride and one of my sister's books, and my love of reading was born.

Because I'm a long time reader, I have learned to read very fast. This is OK when I am reading a novel, but it is bad when I need to pay attention to facts written within the text. This has caused problems with me when doing homework or doing research for something. I also have the kind of mind that will jump off on a tangent with very little provocation. So, if I misread something, I tend to have a few moments where my mind wonders off and I ponder what it was supposed to mean! This kind of thing isn't conducive to being a productive person.

Recently, this little quirk of mine has begun happening more and more often. I blame my advanced age of 31. :) Last week I was reading Kenny's blog, and there was a sentence that started with "Habits are hard to break." I read it as "Hobbits are hard to break." My first thought was: Hobbits? Why was he trying to break a hobbit? I didn't even think he liked Tolkien that much! What does he have against hobbits?! (By the way, if you type the word 'Hobbit' enough times, it stops making sense.) I went back to read that again and got what he was trying to say, so that ended my confusion. Of course, when I told him about it, he assured me that he doesn't make a habit of breaking hobbits. He grinds them up and keeps them in the pantry.

Saturday I had another one of these moments. I was looking for SEC football scores online & I saw a list of games that were going on. I noticed that Auburn was set to play Ole Miss. I read it as "Olé Miss." I immediately wondered when Mexico got a college team.

*sigh*

No comments: