Tuesday, May 17, 2011


May 9, 2011

I woke this morning in my clothes, on top of the covers, and face down in a pile of pillows. Well, I almost had all of my clothes on. Thank God I was wearing two shirts, because I only had the outer one on one arm and the rest of it was wrapped around my head. I must have been extremely sleepy to manage that. I don't even remember going to sleep. Maybe it was a defense mechanism that kicked in while we were watching Desperate Housewives. *Shudder* By the way, What the hell is it with resorts and all of the pillows? Who needs 9 pillows? Even with Steve's giant head, he doesn't need that many pillows.

Anyway, amazingly, we didn't oversleep this morning, but I suppose we have our Central Standard Time brains to thank for that. I was afraid we'd slept the whole morning away, but when I scrambled to look at the clock, it was only 6:00 A.M.

Want to give your sphincter a workout first thing in the morning? 
Look out of a floor-to-ceiling window on the 36th floor when you forget you are that high.

Since Mr. Lee had the meeting with the resort people today, Steve and I were on our own. After breakfast, we walked across the street to The Sahara* and looked around a bit. The Sahara seems weirdly empty, but that could have been because it was a Sunday morning. We won $5 in the casino! Of course, we managed to lose that 5 dollars at the other casinos, but it was fun while it lasted.  After that, we got on the Monorail (can't seem to get away from those, can I?) and went as far down Las Vegas Blvd as we could.  We took a few pictures, and then we walked down to the Luxor and wondered around.

 New York, New York Hotel and Casino

 The Luxor. The pharaohs only WISH they had a pyramid this big.

We actually just walked from casino to casino and looked around. I think we walked a hundred miles today, which probably wasn't great for my ankle. It hurt. A lot.  I had the ankle brace on, but it basically only kept my foot from twisting again. I was apparently too dumb to take an aspirin before venturing out. :{

On a good note, I found Macarons!!!!! WOOT! I figured if anywhere would have them, the Paris Las Vegas Hotel would have them! Yay!  Actually, it was a place called the Sugar Factory attached to the hotel, but whatever.

Josh would not approve!

 Ahhhhhhhhhhh! *Angel Chorus*
You want to know the truth?  These cookies were prettier, but my cookies tasted better! :) At least now I know! AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!

We also went to the Forum Shops at Caesar's Palace and looked around. I realized pretty quickly that a) I can't fit into any of the clothes any of the stores sell, and b) I couldn't afford them even of I could wear them. Boo. So, I did the only thing I could think of, I went back to the Vosges Haut-Chocolate store and got some stuff I'd never tried before! Don't judge me. Thankfully, I didn't buy three tons of fancy chocolates that had to be temperature controlled from there this time. I bought a reasonable amount of boxed stuff that could be carried around in my backpack. The girl behind the counter even gave me a free one! NOM!

Have I mentioned that Cirque du Soleil freaks me the hell out? It really does.  It isn't normal for people to move in those ways and it scares me.  I don't even like watching them on television.  Also, Cirque du Soleil is EVERYWHERE in Las Vegas. You can't get away from them! So I spent my time here flinching away from the posters and banners. Whee.

The whole time we were out, the wind was blowing like crazy. I mean, the news said there were 60 mph gusts and I believe it! All of the rollar coasters and other outdoor rides were closed because of it. It was blowing so hard that it was really hard to walk against, and it was slinging very fine sand into our faces. I got a couple of pieces in my eyes, which was quite unpleasant. At one point, I opened my mouth to say something, and a gust of wind blew sand down my throat. Yuck! You think God was telling me something?  ; ) My foot was hurting so bad, and we were so tired and hot, that we decided to come back to the hotel. My ankle was swollen worse and bruised, my hair was just...insane, and I had a fine crust of sand all over my face. I looked lovely. When I went to the bathroom to wash my face, I noticed that the wind had blown one of my earrings right out of my ear lobe!  Lucky it wasn't expensive or anything, but it was one of my favorite ones.

Hastared wind.

Mr. Lee came in a few minutes after we did and we decided to go and get dinner. We jumped in the car and went to The Bellagio to try their famous buffet. It was delicious, which was a surprise. Usually buffet food tastes industrial to me, but this was very good! It was also expensive, and I didn't feel as if I ate enough to justify the price.  The hotel itself was gorgeous, and I wish there hadn't been so many people there because I would have loved to get closer to some of the Marino glass sculptures. They were made by frickin' Dale Chihuly! Can you believe it?!  I am such a dorky fan of that guy, but I never thought I'd get to see any of his stuff in person. It was GORGEOUS!  

We were all still pretty tired after we ate, jet lag I suppose, so we went back to the hotel and sacked out. I wish there had been more exciting adventures, but it was at least a fun day! :)

*EDIT: I had no idea The Sahara was closing down! How sad. :( It really was a lovely building. No wonder it was so empty.  If we had known, I might have tried stealing one of the chandeliers! :)

No comments: