Monday, May 02, 2011


April 29, 2011

I wonder how many people around here are ticked off that they didn't get to see the royal wedding? : )

For the first time ever, I kind of regret having the dogs. Well, not really regret having them, but regret that they never learned to travel without freaking out. I'd love to load up and head down to the beach while the power is off up here. It isn't that I can't stand the lack of power, but it sucks just sitting up here waiting. There isn't much to do and it's so quiet. Also, I wouldn't turn my nose up at a hot shower, either. Part of me kind of feels like I'm on an adventure, trying to figure out how to deal with everything without power. Another part of me wants to tell that first, adventurous part to blow it out of her rear.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound whiny, I'm just going a bit stir crazy, I guess. I realize that being dirty and a bit bored is a small price to pay to still have a home! Not everyone I know is so lucky. I got a chance to talk to my sister, and she told me that my nephew's girlfriend pretty much lost everything except some clothes, and it was sheer chance that neither she nor her mother were home when the house was hit. I also still haven't heard if anyone I know was killed or hurt. So far, no news is good news.

We actually did get to have an adventure today, though! We ran by and picked up Anthony, and then drove into Tennessee to locate charcoal and hopefully a hot meal. Someone had told Steve that the Wal-Mart in Tullahoma hadn't been stripped clean yet, so we set out to find it. We drove through some back roads until we reached Winchester, where we were able to fill up the car fairly easily. We couldn't fill up before then because pretty much every gas station was out of gas and The Men With Impressive Mustaches waved us away from the entrances. We actually didn't need gas that badly, and weren't even trying to pull into the stations, so we weren't in a bind or anything. We only filled up where we did because the station wasn't clogged with cars.

We didn't need to go into Tullahoma after all, because the Winchester Wal-Mart wasn't being descended upon. We didn't get any charcoal there, but we got a few other things we needed. We found plenty of charcoal at a Dollar General the cashier recommended. Since poor Anthony hadn't eaten yet that day, we went to Wendy's to get hamburgers! Woot! Sometimes fast food is the best comfort food. It was getting late by then, so we had to get Anthony home before the curfew. We got home after dusk (shhhhhhhh) and noticed that some places had already begun getting their lights back on. I'm crossing my fingers that our power grid is not too far behind.

No comments: