Friday, May 06, 2011

Great. Just flipping great.

We had to take Bear to the vet early this morning and there was an "incident" with another dog.  He was already wound up when we got him in the car, and when we took him inside he didn't seem to get any calmer.  Since it was morning, I didn't think it would be much of a problem, but we somehow managed to get there just as a tide of dogs were being brought in for dog day care. (Yeah, I know.)  I don't know if he got scared, or if it was because he thought he was protecting Steve, who was holding him back, but a Cocker Spaniel came in and got in his face and Bear chomped down on his front paw and wouldn't let go.  They got them separated, and he didn't tear up the other dogs foot, but there was a hole in it and it was bleeding.  When we left the dog was in a consult room with one of the surgical techs.  The man was so angry.  I apologized, but I don't think he was listening to me.  We told the vet we'd pay for fixing the dog's paw, but I'm afraid that man will try and sue us or something.  He seemed really, really angry.  There is no way we can afford to be sued.  I'm not even sure how we can afford to pay for the other dogs bill, especially if he needs surgery or something.  The whole incident made me feel sick to my stomach, and I've been huddled in a ball alternately chewing my fingernails off and crying since we got back.  It doesn't sound like a big deal, and I'm hoping it isn't in the long run, but the man was SO angry.  Bear isn't a mean or bad dog, he's just stupid.  I feel so awful.

EDIT:  OK, I've calmed down a bit.  It was just reaction, I guess. I've never seen one of our dogs hurt any other dogs but each other and it scared me.  I also realize that the man couldn't successfully sue us since dogs are dogs and they bite sometimes.  I also saw everything and know that Bear didn't actually attack the other dog AND he was being restrained PLUS the fact that a whole herd of dogs came in and were growling and snapping at each other and it just so happened that the Spaniel happened to jump at Bear at just the wrong time.  I still feel terrible, though. We will, of course, pay to have the other dog's paw treated.  It was just awful to have my dog hurt another person's dog.  :(  I hope Bandit will be OK. 

No comments: