Wednesday, December 28, 2011

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, BUT MAYBE NOT SUCH A GREAT MOVIE.

OK, just so you know, I didn't actually get so depressed after thinking about the "It's a Wonderful Life" scenario that I ate 32 Rolo turtles.  I ate that many because they are delicious.  :)  Seriously, they are awesome, and if I don't get rid of them soon, I'm going to get diabetes or something.  I can't stop eating them.

Actually, I was only depressed for a second or two and then I started thinking about a problem I have with that dumb movie.  Indulge me for a moment...

OK, so George gets upset because of the money troubles he's having with the building and loan company he runs and decides to commit suicide.

-First off...what a dick move, George.  Seriously.  You've got kids and a family, you selfish bastard!  I understand the depression and hopelessness of your current situation, but killing yourself isn't the best course of action, here.  They wouldn't even get your life insurance (if you had any) because they don't pay out in cases of suicide! If you'd shown signs of depression or suicidal behavior before now, or if you'd had some kind of mental or emotional problems in the past, I think I'd probably understand, but geez man.  A sudden attack of things-are-looking-kinda-bad is no reason to kill yourself!

Then Clarence comes along to show him how horrible things would have been if he'd never existed.

-I have no trouble with this part. As freakishly messed up as Bedford Falls (i.e. Potterville) became without his influence, maybe people like that exist. The hubs on which certain wheels of the world turn.  I dunno.  I'm just going to go with it.

When George sees how his existence has made the world a better place, he forgoes suicide, runs home to hug everyone, bells ring and angels get their wings.  The end.  It's freaking heartwarming.

OK, my problem with the movie is this:  George did exist.  George had always existed. George would not negate his existence simply by killing himself.  Granted, I know that the whole purpose of the story is that George realizes that he's done really great things and that his life is really wonderful, but if he had actually managed to throw himself off of the bridge before Clarence could show him everything, the world wouldn't have automatically reverted to that bleak existence that had never included him.  Sure, his family and most of the town would have been devastated that he'd killed himself, but Bedford Falls wouldn't blink out of existence and be replaced by Potterville the second after he died.  He'd leave a trail of heartache, emotional suffering, and possible daddy issues behind him, but all of the things he had done in the past would have still been done.  Lots of people who've done really great things die without the effects of what they'd done in the past wearing off.  To show George what life would have been like if he'd never existed doesn't make as much sense to me as it does to show George what life might be like if he killed himself.

Something tells me that if you show a man who truly loves his family what would happen if he (selfishly) killed himself, that man would not do it. 

OK, look, I realize I've over analyzed this.  However, I can't help but think that the whole reason Clarence hadn't gotten his wings by then is because he didn't quite get the point of cause and effect.  The effect of showing George what life would have been like without his existence was a fluke.  Wings is wings, though, so I'm sure he didn't go back to the Almighty and say "Oops...my bad.  No, don't give them to me yet.  I need to get this right."

Oh, and also, what the hell kind of name is Zuzu?

That is all.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw it for the first time Christmas Eve, and I had the same issues as you did with the movie. The methods Clarence employed to keep Stanley from committing suicide were pretty irrelevant to the situation....and I was quite annoyed at their being an angel named Clarence period...especially one as sucky as that wingless wonder....

Sara