Friday, April 20, 2018

RANDOM ACTS OF BLOGGING

1) Steve got offered a job in Charleston!  But in "of course he did" news, he turned it down without even considering it.  However, for one, bright, shining moment in my head, I had bought one of those cool old houses and was going to be near the coast, and have the ability to walk anywhere I needed to go, be in easy distance of some amazing food and work in one of the many museums out there.  That part was fun.

But Huntsville is good too.  I know people here.

2) I got a strange opportunity a couple of weeks ago from a cosmetic subscription service that found me on Instagram.  They were looking for "influencers" for their brand and they thought I was sassy, or some such thing.  At first I thought...WTF?  I mean, you know me (I guess you do, anyway) and you know that I'm 40 years old and maybe not the most attractive lady out there, I only have a very few people who follow me, and generally most of them don't pay much attention to anything I post. If you've ever seen most of the IG influencers, they are usually very young, very pretty, and have a LOT of followers watching what they do.  Maybe this company was going in a different direction, I dunno, but for them to reach out to me was kind of hilarious.  At first, I wasn't going to do it, because of everything I just mentioned, but the more I thought about it, the funnier I thought it would be if I did it.  Seriously, can you imagine me shilling for something like that?  So I asked some questions and agreed to do it.  Why not, right?  I'm not a Kardashian (OMG, I spelled that wrong and auto-correct fixed it for me.) but maybe I could have some fun with it.

HOWEVER...I did some looking around at different people who are considered "Influencers" for things online just to see how it worked, and...well, ultimately I just realized I didn't want to be that guy.  I mean, sure putting on makeup is fun, and taking pictures of it is fine, but I didn't want to be the person who is constantly hash tagging everything on my face and talking about how awesome this or that is because I get benefits from it.  I know people like that and they annoy me. The company was going to pay me, but only if people I knew bought this service, and it was such a low payment that it was really not worth it unless I somehow gathered tons of new followers and they all paid however much for the thing.  Ultimately I felt like it wouldn't be a thing I'd enjoy doing and I'm almost 100% certain none of my friends who follow me on those apps would have enjoyed it either.

There is only one thing that kind of bothers me, though, and that is that I tend to get excited about this kind of thing, tell people I'm going to do it, and then decide it isn't for me in the long run so it seems like I just flaked.  I feel like I punk out on things too much.  Granted, in this case, it wasn't because I got nervous about it, or thought that I couldn't do it, but still, I feel kind of like I failed at some new opportunity I was offered by not following through, but I really, really didn't want to have to take pictures of my face all of the time and push discount codes (link in bio!) on people who have very little interest in cosmetics. It just wasn't for me.  Still, though, I wish I didn't not do things so much.  It's not like I get a whole lot of offers!

Anyway, if you are a friend of mine on any of the social media apps, don't worry, you don't have to see my eyeliner 12 times a week! :)

3) OK, I know this is going to fall into "Kelly hears Robots" territory (and screw you guys, I totally did hear robots no matter what you think) but I'm fairly certain that someone tried spying on our house with a drone the other night.

To the left foot of our bed we have window that faces our neighbors house.  Where it is located, at night we get some light from the street lamp in front of our house, but it's partially blocked by something, so about a 1/4 of our window has light while the rest is dark.  The other night I was in bed, and I noticed that a light was flashing in the corner of the window that is usually dark.  It was flashing somewhat slowly, but consistently.  At first I thought maybe the wind was blowing and a branch was moving out of the way to let more light in, but that couldn't be it because the closest tree to our window isn't blocking the light.  Also, we have very deep eaves on the side of our house, so the corner of that window is in shadow all day except for about an hour after the sun rises.  I lay there and watched the light blink for a few minutes and asked Steve "What is that?"  He didn't know, but almost immediately the light stopped blinking and didn't come back.  So the only reasonable idea we could come up with is that someone was flying a drone near the top of our window and could hear us talking.  I even went outside and checked the next day, and the top of our window is too high for anything NOT flying to get to, unless whatever it was had a ladder.  So either Roof Critter is a robot or someone was up to shenanigans with a drone.  Bless their hearts for finding such a boring place to spy.  Heh.

No, I'm serious, it totally happened.

4) Ya know...I've lost some weight. Not the 60 pounds that I was told I would, but more than just a couple of pounds.  So...when people who haven't seen me in a while look at me, they always say "I can tell you've lost weight. How much have you lost?" Without fail, when I tell them, they always say "I can really tell it in your face." I never know how to respond.

Honestly, tell me, how damn fat was my face before?

No comments: