Thursday, November 09, 2006

The No Sick Leave Blues

When I woke up that morning (dum de da dum*)
I couldn't get out of bed (dum de da dum*)
and so I called into work (dum de da dum*)
and used a personal day instead!

Because I'm not full time
and I have no sick leave
so if I don't go into work
they take away some of my green!

I've got the not full time,
no sick leave,
sick in bed,
no other choice,
lost my only accrued personal day blues!

*That would be the obligatory harmonica blues riff

Sorry about that. I've been listening to B.B. King a lot lately. : )

So yesterday I woke up sick and called into work. I just sat in the recliner for six hours and watched TV. I think it's just the weather and my ever present sinus problems, but whatever it was...sucked. By evening, though, I was feeling a little better. Poor Steve, though, he came home sick too. I knew he was really feeling bad because he wasn't being a baby about it. The last time he felt bad and didn't whine, he had pneumonia, so I've become wary of the quiet, sick Steve. I made a pot of soup and some low fat cupcakes for dinner. Steve doesn't like the soup, but he liked the cupcakes, so it all evened out. The cupcakes were awesome, though! I snatched the recipe off of a blog I read every day, and you should try it! It sounds gross, but it isn't at all! You need:

1 box devil's food cake mix
1 can of pumpkin
3/4 cup of water.

Mix it up and bake it like the box says! They don't taste or smell like pumpkin at all! No extra fat or oil and possibly even vegetarian safe, although I don't know what sort of animal bits may be in the mix.

Later that evening I got a call from my very favorite Kenny, whom I gave a little over-the-phone Flash help. Let me just say this, it's hard to help someone with a GUI based program when you aren't looking at what they are doing. I'm afraid he got frustrated with me because I kept telling him to do this one thing, and he kept telling me that it wasn't working, and I kept telling him - slower and louder- to do that thing, and he -slower and louder- kept telling me it didn't work. It turns out that one of his layers was locked and so we couldn't edit it. Duh, on my part. I forgot I locked all of the layers when I made the original file he was working with. However, we sort of got it all sorted out...sort of. Don't worry, we'll get it! I'm determined.

I haven't started on my research paper and it's due in less than a month. I've had so much to do that I keep putting it off, and even when I have time I put it off. It's like having a snake in your living room that might be dead. You see it, you know it's there, but you're too afraid to poke it because it might rise up and swallow you whole. :( I also was a hit with my chocolate themed project in graphics. Everyone was duly impressed with my magnets and postcards. The teacher actually liked it too, but I'll wait to do my happy dance until I get my grade back. He may have changed his mind once the glow of critique was over.

Speaking of school, I finally registered for what should be...*dramatic pause*...my last semester before I graduate! I will be taking 19th Century Art history, to fulfill my final oblilgation to my minor, History of Theater I, to fulfill my last elective, and Aerobic Kick Boxing, to fulfill my need to exercise and be able to whoop up on Steve if I ever need to. : ) I'm kind of iffy about that last one because it's right in the middle of the day and I'll have to come back to work all sweaty and tired, but I'm not currently exercising like I should, so I'm hoping it will give me a boost.

So that's all for me for right now! I'll be back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love the blues bit