Monday, September 28, 2009


MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2009

Epcot Center


I slept hard. I slept so very, very hard. By the time I got up this morning, I was very rested, but kind of muzzy. The first thing that happened as we were getting ready to go, was that I realized that the new clothes I had bought for the trip were too big. I thought I was following the size chart on the website I got them from correctly, but I bought everything a size too big! BOO! I had tried them on when they were mailed to me, and I realized that they were a bit big, but it didn't dawn on my how big they were till I tried to put on one of my whole outfits and I looked bizarre. I kind of figure you can wear a pair of shorts that are too big OR a shirt that is too big, however, it just looks silly if you wear both at the same time. Luckily, I had gotten some new shorts at the resort gift shop and had a chance to change into them before we left! We had a quick breakfast and jumped onto the bus going to Epcot Center. Epcot happens to be my favorite (as it goes) of all of the parks, so I was glad to get there and get started on our day. It was a bit confusing at first, because they had changed around a few things since the last time we were there, but we still enjoyed ourselves. We rode a couple of rides and looked around a bit and then got to the part I like, the little countries. I think it's because I like to travel and I'm fairly certain that I'm never going to get to go to the actual places, but I like to walk through the place and shop and see the buildings and decor. Disney, of course, makes them perfectly.

We had lunch reservations at the Mexican restaurant (EDIT:I checked. It was the San Angel Inn Restaurant.) that is inside a big Aztec temple.
Disney sacrificial altar?

I find it hilarious that the setting is an Aztec temple since they weren't known to be the friendliest of peoples. All that is missing at the top is Mickey Mouse with his heart ripped out. Oh well, I guess they donĂ­t want to get THAT authentic! :) The food there was wonderful, and let me just go ahead and say that if you can do the meal plan on your trip to Disney, please do. So far it has worked beautifully! After lunch, we walked on and shopped, shopped, shopped. We both enjoyed the different countries, and the crowds weren't terrible yet, so things went well until we got to France. Something was wrong with my left foot. I had apparently made an unfortunate footwear choice when getting ready this morning, because my feet were hurting really badly. It wasn't just the walking, something had to be wrong with my shoes. I couldn't figure out what was wrong because I was wearing my Chucks, which are sneakers, but they were doing something bad to my feet. We stopped at a cafe and got something to drink and I rested my feet, but as soon as I started walking again, they got worse. They kept on getting worse during the last few countries we walked through and by the time we had walked back to the main gift shop underneath Space Ship Earth, I thought my feet had to be bleeding because that was all I could think of to explain the level of pain I was feeling.

There was an international food and beer/wine festival going on at Epcot, so that drew in a huge amount of people that weren't there earlier. It got so bad that we couldn't even walk side by side anymore. I almost lost Steve once or twice in the crowd. We didn't eat at any of the special stands that were set up, but I did get some mint iced tea at the Morocco stand. It was yummy, even without sugar! I added sugar of course, but it was good without it too! :) I've never seen so many people walking around with beer before. I suppose it shouldn't have shocked me, but since I think of Disney World as mainly a place for kids, I think I was thrown off a bit. Oh, well.

On a funny note, as we were walking out, we overheard a lady on her cell phone telling someone "Well, right now I'm underneath the Apricot" or she might have said "the Ep-icot." Whichever one, it got us tickled. She was walking underneath the giant silver golf ball looking thing, which is technically a ride called Space Ship Earth, but is commonly thought to be THE Epcot Center since it's the most recognizable part of the park. I really, really hope she thought the park was the Apricot Center. :)

We finally got back on our bus and got to the resort again and I took off my shoes as soon as we got to our room. They weren't bleeding, thank goodness, but apparently my feet had gotten so swollen that I was literally stepping on my own toes. No, seriously, they were so swollen that they were curling under the soles of my feet. I was wearing tennis shoes, but they weren't good enough I guess, because not only had I been stepping on my own toes, I had two blisters on the bottoms of my feet. I have had blisters on my toes and on my heels before, but never on the bottom of my feet! It was truly bizarre. I should have been gellin' I guess. I have only been able to wear my flip-flops sense I took off my shoes. I can only hope my feet are better by tomorrow!

So, other than the foot thing, we had a pretty good day! :)

No comments: