Tuesday, January 31, 2012

MORE RANDOM ACTS OF BLOGGING

1) I managed to screw up part of our Sunday morning music services. :(  I feel really bad about it too.  The minister of music had asked one of his daughters to sing a solo, and the music she was going to sing was on a cassette tape.  I know what you're thinking...a cassette tape? Wha?  Yeah..well, if you are familiar with music accompaniment, you will know that cassette tapes were the norm for a very long time.  Even after CDs became the preferred way to listen to music, for some reason, accompaniment music was still on tapes.  Of course, you also have the fact that a lot of gospel songs don't go out of fashion, so if you find a version of a song you like, you tend to hang on to it.  It makes sense to upgrade your music to CDs or even MP3s now, but that can get pretty expensive.  Not to mention that sometimes the particular version of the song you like may not have ever been pressed (or whatever) to a CD.

OK, I told you all of that for you to understand why this woman was singing with a cassette tape.

Anyway...apparently, I have forgotten how to use a tape player.  Well, at least the kind that have more than 4 buttons.  Sometimes the choir will sing from a tape, and that's where my ineptness has shown itself.  I always rewind too far, or not far enough, I accidentally hit that button that flips the tape to the other side, or I forget which direction the tape is turning and the whole thing goes backwards.  It's a nightmare and it makes me feel like an idiot.

So while she was practicing, I had to leave the sound system in other capable hands so that I could go to class.  When I came back down for the service, I refused to touch the cassette player so as not to screw anything up.  When it came time for her to sing, I pressed the play button and the song started playing somewhere in the middle.  I didn't know what happened.  I also didn't know the song, so I didn't know which way I was supposed to move it.  I rewound, and played it...but nope, still not in the right place.  I did that several times trying to find the right song, but it never worked. All this time the poor woman is standing on stage looking embarrassed and I'm in the back of the church trying desperately to figure out what was going on.  The music minister finally told her to sit down and we went on with the service, but I felt so bad!  I don't know what happened!  I guess I could have bumped one of the buttons without realizing it, but I don't know how I could have done that without hearing it.  I don't know.  I do know, however, that every single part of my body was cringing.  I just felt so terrible.  Ugh.

2) I got my hair cut last Friday and no one noticed.  Well, Steve pretended to notice, but it was because I told him I was getting my hair cut and I'm pretty sure he was trying to be nice.  However, later he told me it looked exactly the same.  This wouldn't irritate me normally but it doesn't look the same. It very much doesn't look the same at all!  I'm trying to let my hair grow out, but since the back was so much shorter than the front, I decided to go ahead and cut the front so that the front would be the same length as the back.  Then I got it layered.  I kept the bangs, but even they weren't cut the same.  It's a totally different hair style. Gah!

Other than that, my other problem is that I have no idea how to fix it.  I wake up in the mornings looking like Russell Brand, and if I'm not careful, when I blow dry my hair, it sticks out in many directions.  I'm just going to leave it alone until it decides to cooperate.  It's best not to anger my hair.  It's very sensitive.

3) The internet is full of weirdos, isn't it?  The other night I had a terrible case of hiccups, and I mean terrible in a way few people can understand.  I've never had little, dainty, cute hiccups.  When I get a serious case of hiccups, I sound like an angry pterodactyl.  I can't control them, and they are loud.  True story, my dogs think something is wrong with me and they try to climb into my lap and look into my mouth to see what is going on when this happens.  

While my diaphragm shredding hiccups were going on, and since I had the iPad next to me, I tweeted that "I have a bad case of hiccoughs. They sound like the mating call of an exotic, unpleasant bird."


A bit later, I saw that I had gotten some mentions on Twitter from a person I didn't recognize.  The person asked how long I had had the hiccups.  Normally, I wouldn't have bothered answering, but I figured that maybe this person would have some kind of trick to get rid of them that I could use the next time it happened.  Seriously, I HATE getting the hiccups and was willing to try anything.

Well, this guy didn't have any tricks for getting rid of them.  In fact, due to a stream of other messages that came to me in quick succession, I realized that this particular person...um...enjoyed the thought of women having hiccups.  A lot.  What?!  Gross.  That was a new one on me.  Not that I have a working encyclopedic knowledge of kinks or anything, but what the hell?  That's just weird.  Needless to say, I didn't respond to him anymore.  Icky, ya'll.

4) I just realized that I typed that word so many times just then that it doesn't look like a real word anymore. Hiccups.

No comments: