Thursday, March 01, 2018

RANDOM ACTS OF BLOGGING: AGAIN

1) This past weekend we (Steve, Anthony, and I) went to a sci-fi convention here in town! It was the Huntsville Comic and Pop Culture Expo.  It isn't big or fancy (yet), but we had a great time, I thought.  There were a lot of great costumes, so the people watching was so much fun. I sat on the Iron Throne, I met Jermaine "Funnymaine" Johnson - who is the guy to does the funny Alabama football recaps during the fall, and I met Kevin Sorbo.

If you remember (and I know you probably don't, but I'm going to pretend you do) several years ago, I saw Mr. Sorbo at Dragon*con and he, along with his entourage, almost knocked me down a flight of stairs.  He didn't even look my way as I had to catch myself.  He had been on my list since then, but it turns out the man is actually pretty nice.  Anthony was wearing a Saints shirt, and he stopped and we talked football with him for a minute.  He's a BIG Vikings fan ('cause he's from Minnesota) so we teased him a bit, but he had a good sense of humor about it.  Turns out he's very nice and probably wouldn't almost shove me down a flight of stairs at this point in his life, so he's no longer on my list. Is that really all it takes to get on my good side?  Pretty much.

There were a lot of booths in the vendor area that had cool stuff to buy.  I have to say, the vendor area is probably my favorite place in any Con I've ever been to, but that's because the sheer amount of local artists (and maybe not so local) that have stuff on display.  I don't have a lot of room for stuff like that right now, so I didn't buy anything other than a DIY Funko Pop figurine.  I'm going to make it into a Me figurine, because who wouldn't want their own Funko, amiright?  Haha!

One funny thing that happened was that at one of the vendor booths, I asked one of the guys running the booth if he had a particular figure Anthony was looking for, and after staring at him and wondering why he looked so familiar, I realized we graduated high school together and had gone to church together for a few years.  He hugged me and I asked him a few questions, but I have no idea if he knew who I was until right before I left him.  Heh, that's fine.  We didn't talk much in school, so it wasn't like he was my long lost BFF or anything.  It was good seeing him, though!

We went back that night to see Jermaine Johnson's stand up act, and he was very funny.  Go see him if you get a chance!  He does more than talk about football.

2) OK, so Steve and I have been on this weight loss program for roughly 8 weeks, which is halfway through the worst part of the program, and duuuuuuuude, it sucks.  Well, let me be more clear, it can suck.  It's easier than it was, so I'm grateful for that, but I'm losing weight so slowly and Steve is losing weight so quickly, that it's hard not to wonder what I'm doing wrong. I know that men lose weight faster than women, so that's not s huge surprise, but still, so far...6 weeks of nothing but liquids, 2 weeks of mostly liquids and one meal replacement bar a day, my fitness tracker app thinks I have an eating disorder and the people at the hospital (who are lovely and supportive) have asked if I was still following the program. I am, I promise! I don't think they believe me, because everything is happening so slowly for me. It's insanely frustrating.

I haven't cheated on the program, although I've been tempted, but I don't want to mess up whatever ground I've gained thus far. I'm constantly hungry, which they said I wouldn't be, but maybe it's just me. I already knew I was an emotional eater, but geez, I never knew how much of one.  Before, if I had a bad day or something was bothering me, I'd always eat something that made me feel better, because food is good and comforting, but now I can't do that and sometimes I have no idea how to handle myself when life gets on my nerves!  Hehe, don't worry, I'm not a complete basket case, but it's hard to change a lifelong habit and I'm still trying to find my footing.  I'm getting a bit better at it!

The behaviorist and I talked about how some parts of our lives were controlled by our "Logical Brain" and some our "Primitive Brain."  He told me to imagine having a 6 year old in my head, and that 6 year old controls how I eat.  If you give any normal kid a choice between a hamburger and a salad, most kids will pick the hamburger.  If my logical brain was in charge, I'd go with the salad, but apparently the 6 year old is loud and persistent.  For a couple of weeks, I tried very hard to rule myself in most areas of my life with my logical brain, but you know what?  Screw that. My logical brain is boring! I can't live like that. Plus, I think my primitive brain is more like a 20 year old, so technically I'm not letting a child choose my food for me.  However, I have been eating only what I'm supposed to eat, and my primitive brain has been pouting, but she is just going to have to chill until I see this thing through. I am determined to do that much if I can.  Just between you and me, though, I'm pretty sure my primitive brain is in charge of lots of stuff, because I don't think I'm very logical, and doing the fun, inappropriate stuff is usually my go to.

I'll tell you what, though, it's hard. I was describing this to a friend of mine, and I think the worst part is that I know I could just quit this program and do whatever I want, but I have to constantly stop myself from doing that. Imagine wanting something so badly that it almost hurts, knowing you could go out and grab it, but not letting yourself because you don't want to screw something up?  I'm really not good at telling myself no, I guess.  Ugh...denial is not my strong-suit. 

Anyways, I'm still chugging along.  I don't think I'm going to be anywhere close to the goal weight they set me at this point, but I'm trying very hard!  That's got to count for something, right?

No comments: