Thursday, May 20, 2010

RANDOM ACTS OF BLOGGING

1) It's been a while, hasn't it? I haven't had much going on, honestly, and I'm sure you have better things to do than read about me doing laundry. Also, I've been feeling kind of blah. I honestly don't know what to do with myself these days and I feel kind of lost. Don't worry, I haven't been having a pity part or anything (I'll wait a bit longer before I do that, heehee) but I feel like I'm in limbo these days. Sometimes it feels like I went to the mailbox one morning and pulled this out:
It's signed on the outside because the inside
picture of the universe giving me the finger takes up too much space.


Granted, I know that isn't the case, but I think I've realized that at some point I fell into the trap of connecting my personal image too closely with what I did for a living. I mean, yeah, it wasn't the greatest job, but I liked doing it and thought it was pretty amazing I got to work in such an awesome place. I mean, how many people get to have as much fun working as I did? When people asked, I told them I was a graphic designer for the Sprocket. I even thought I might be a pretty good one, too. Right now, I'm not. I don't really know what I am. I thought I was right where I should be in life, but obviously I was wrong. That's a weird feeling.

Now, before anyone wonders, I'm not looking for affirmation from anyone else. I know there are people out there who think very good things about me and I honestly appreciate that. I think my problem right now is that my self image is kind of damaged. I don't feel sorry for myself, I feel confused. I suppose it is some kind of existential crisis or something. No worries, though. I'm resilient! I've just got to figure out my place in the world. I'll get there.

2) Enough of that stuff! ENOUGH I SAY! On a more fun note, I am now the proud owner of a container of Sea Monkeys! I've always wanted some, but I've somehow avoided buying them until I saw a package of them at Target while Steve and I were grocery shopping. Honestly, they are kind of gross. I mean, they're fascinating and everything, and right now they are cute little pinpricks swimming around in their tank, but still... I'm scared I'm going to wind up killing them or something! I know they are just brine shrimp. Heck, they don't even have brains, but I am still afraid I'm going to hurt them, forget to feed them, or not aerate their little tank enough. I"m also kind of disturbed by the fact that a tank of them can live for 2 years or more because of *sing it with me now* THE CIRCLE....THE CIRCLE OF LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That means if I don't kill them, which I'm going to try not to do of course, I'm going to have a container of sea critters in my house for around 2 years. What if they breed some kind of genetic anomaly and become sentient? What if I wake up one morning and see them walking around in the kitchen?! I'm scared.

I hope they don't mutate and take over the world.
If they do, though, SyFy will make a movie out of it! Silver Linings!

3) I found another blog today that I like a lot. It's called Fallen Princess, and although I'm not 100% sure, I think the woman who writes it is a former fashion editor for Sassy magazine. She writes about body image and how things are portrayed in the media, but she also writes about her life and other interesting things. It's at least worth a look!

4) Huntsville got a new Earth Fare grocery store recently and I drove across town to check it out yesterday. I loved it! It was big and full of all kinds of things I'd never heard of before! You know how I am about things like that. My only complaint is that almost everything is really expensive! I'm sure there were lots of things that might be worth the extra money, but geez. I did pick up a few things, but I don't think I can make a habit of getting my regular groceries there. I'm sure I'll go back and get some other stuff, though. They have some fresh squeezed orange juice that is to die for! I wondered around for about an hour, just looking for the most part. I think I've figured them out. It's just a big, expensive, organic market created for dirty hippies. If that's the case, I hope I grow up to be a dirty hippie so I can afford more of their stuff! :)

5) I am once again trying my hand at container gardening. What I was specifically interested in growing was strawberries, but I also got a teeny little orange tree. It was on clearance, so I couldn't resist. I think the strawberry plants I bought may be dead, but not at my own hand, thank goodness. They came in a plastic bag wrapped in a burlap sack and even though they had roots that looked alive, I can't tell. I planted them, but we have to wait and see. I may end up going to a nursery or something to see if they have strawberry plants that don't come in a plastic bag. My orange tree still looks alive, at least. It's one of the small ones that you move inside in the winter, so maybe I'll actually get some oranges out of it! If so, marmalade for everyone!

1 comment:

Part of the Universe said...

<3