Friday, April 01, 2005

I wasn't going to say anything about Terri Schavio. Partly because I wasn't sure how I felt about the whole situation and partly because I felt people were talking about it enough. However, I will say a couple of things that are on my mind about it.
I'm of three minds about the whole thing. Mind number 1 thinks that what that poor lady went through is horrible. She wasn't on a respirator or a heart machine, she was simply being fed through a tube. Lots of people are fed through tubes. Starving her to death seems so cruel and inhumane. It was like starving a baby, just someone who couldn't feed herself. I have a severely handicapped brother who can't do anything for himself, and part of me felt like it would be like my parents sitting him outside and saying that it was for the best. Mind number 2 says that her husband probably knew better than anyone what she wanted. Maybe it was a conversation they had that she never had with her parents. Maybe she didn't like talking about life and death with her parents, who knows? People like to demonize her husband because after the doctors told him she wouldn't get better, he moved on. Granted, it WAS tacky to get engaged and have kids while she was still alive, but I have to say that I don't blame him. As much as I would love to think that Steve would mourn me and never look at another woman for the rest of his life, I know it isn't likely. Could he have divorced his wife and married the other lady? Sure. Why didn't he? I don't know. That's just it, though, no one knows why he's done what he's done. It's all speculation and wonder. Is he a bad man? I don't think so. I'd have to have more proof than I've gotten so far that he was doing any of this to be cruel.
Mind number 3 (and this is the one I'm beginning to think is right about it) tells me that this stopped being about Terri a LONG time ago. This was a pissing contest (sorry, Rhonda) between two families who wanted the power over someone's life. Could her husband have divorced her and given her life over to her parents? Yes. He would have been free and clear to do whatever he wanted after that. He had already received the million dollar malpractice settlement, so what made him stay? Her parents, even though I feel so bad for them, HAD to know that she wasn't going to get better. She was in that state for 15 years, it was kind of obvious she wasn't going to get any better. Although I know their faith was strong, but I believe they didn't comply with her wishes because they didn't want to and that is that. Do they love her? No doubt, but did they take into consideration that she didn't want to be a burden to them or anyone else? That she didn't want to BE like that? No. Keeping her alive against her wishes is just as wrong as taking her off the machines, IMHO.
All that being said, I'm glad it's over. For Terri's sake and no one elses. I'm ashamed of everyone involved. May she FINALLY rest in peace.

No comments: