Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Day Off!

You're probably wondering why I got a day off in the middle of training the new girl for her job. Well, a benevolent and angelic friend (who happens to have access to my time records) realized that I had built up enough time to have a personal day. However, if I didn't take it before next week, I would lose it, so I decided that Today would be a fabulous day to be a bum! Woo-Hoo! I've been sitting here for a while trying to figure out how I'm going to be both productive and lazy in one 24 hour period, and I haven't quite figured it out yet. I need to clean for the bug people to come and spray tomorrow, but I also want to lie on the couch and read all day. Ah well, I'll figure something out!

Last night we went to Steve's parents house for his dad's birthday dinner. It was great, as usual. We got Mr. Lee 10 bottles of salsa from some place in Texas he told us about. Well, we didn't get them from Texas, the salsa was made in Texas...anyway... He really liked them, so I'm glad. It's always fun when you don't get the polite "wow, um, that's great..." look from someone you've given something to. : )

I am kind of disappointed today. Josh's sister is getting married again, and her future mother in law had forgotten to book a preacher. Josh called and asked if I would officiate since I am legally ordained (which just means I have a licence to preside over weddings, as I would not condecend to become spiritually ordained since I don't believe in lady preachers and all). At any rate, I was all excited, but apparently mom-in-law found someone at the last minute who could do the wedding, so I don't get to. : ( I have a feeling that they don't think I"m really -legally- ordained. However, I did some research and my licence is good everywhere except for Missouri, West Virginia, and part of New England. Eh, oh well. At least the ULC can call me The Very Reverend Kelly Pratt. ; ) Heeheehee.

The girl I am training isn't getting along as well as I hoped. I'm not saying she won't get it in time, but it seems like she should be pretty much trained by now, but then again, I'm not very patient. She has only spoken on the phone to a customer twice and the rest of the time she has only been typing in the info. Oh well, I am doing my best. I do have to say one thing, and I'll go ahead and ask forgiveness for being catty. Bless her heart, I don't know if she shaves off her eyebrows or if she lost them in some industrial accident, but she draws them on every day. Now, I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but she draws them on as if she were circling her occular cavity, so they go straight across above her eyes and then curve down at the corners. She looks angry. In mentioning this to someone at church (and you know who you are) they said she was like Mr. Potato head "Putting on his Angry Eyes" a la Toy Story. Now I can't help but thinking of that while I'm talking to her. Also, when I'm trying to talk to her, all I'm doing is staring at her eyebrows. I'm helpless to stop. They are like magnets. It's like that scene in Austin Powers: Goldmember when he sees the guy with a big mole on his face and can't quit staring at it. I can't even make eye references anymore because I'll look at her when I do it. Not only that, but I have always had a habit of doodling eyes, and I can't do that anymore because I keep trying to draw what I wish her eyebrows looked like and I don't want her to know that's why I'm doing it. I have three pages of squiggles where I have to restrain myself from drawing nicely arched eyebrows. I swear, by the end of this week I am going to have to knock her down and use the brown Sharpie to fix them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If your objective is to be lazy, then by definition if you meet your goal, you were productive!

Hmmmm..... Isn't human nature interesting that things like "Wet Paint - do not touch" draws us to touch it to see if the sign is right? You might as well had someone to say "Whatever you do, do not look at the eyebrows!"

Why don't you get a picture of her for the rest of us to see! Tell her that you want a pic for prosterity since she was the first one you have trained.

Since you have now posted about her, I have a question. Have you impressed her with your charm, wit and personality enough that she would take an interest in your blog and check it from time to time just to find a post about her?

Nelson

Tae said...

As far as I know she doesn't even know I have a website. If she finds it, I hope she won't get mad, of course, I'd never be able to tell just by the look on her face...