Wednesday, June 29, 2005

A Post From the Salt Mines...

Greetings, readers! I address you today from my lovely office, situated on the "toppest" floor of the U.S. Space and Rocket Center Museum. Well, it isn't all that lovely, being a workroom and all, but it's nice and quiet and I don't have to talk to angry mothers, therefore it's heavenly.

I began working on Monday, where they just kind of threw me into the mix by sending me on a mission to a printing buisness to have some stuff laminated. After that, I came back and started the business of cleaning up the office. To give you an idea of what kind of job that has been, this room used to be a storage area for all of the suff no one needed or used. It was also dusty, and apparently someone had sprayed an adhesive indoors (a production NO-NO) because the dust that had accumulated on the shelves was sticky and gross. A huge plus about my office is that it has windows that line two walls and a door that goes out of the roof in case we have to use a spraypaint or something. A huge minus about where I am is that I have to climb three flights of stairs to get there. THREE FLIGHTS OF STAIRS. If nothing else, I'll achieve some massive calf muscles going back and forth every day. Yesterday I got kind of nervous because everyone left me alone most of the day, so I was kind of at a loss of what to do. I mean, I kept myself occupied, but I guess I'm so paranoid about not looking busy that I didn't realize that until I have a task, I'm pretty much on my own. My friends Jason (who is still extremely talented, no matter what anyone else says) and Roderick are still up here, so I have them to talk to, and there is a new guy named Rodney, who is extrememly nice, so I'm not lonely.

At any rate, I'm beginning to enjoy my job. I'm sure there will be days where I want to burn the place down (as is a pitfall of any job) but I'm hoping those days are few and far inbetween. I did find out something that made me rather nervous. I was under the impression that I would be physically making signs other people design. However, I was informed that because we are now exhibit design as well as publication and sign design, I will be given actual design work to do. Eeeek. I'm scared.

Well, I need to get back to work. : ) I'll post some pictures of my office when I get a chance to take them!

No comments: