Friday, July 08, 2005

Contrary to popular belief, I have not dropped off the face of the earth. When I started this job, I knew it was busy, but I had no idea what kind of busy! I'm literally running, cutting, plotting or whatever from the time I get in until the time I leave. It's completely awesome! I haven't had a chance to post anything lately, but now that I have a breathing spell, I'm going to taje advantage of it!

Monday I didn't come to work because of the holiday. I, along with Steve's family, went to Lawrenceville, Tennesseeto see the Amish community. I was a little nervous about it, because let's face it, we were going there to stare at people for being different. However, mostly all we did was drive around and see the houses and Mr. Lee bought some vegetables and jelly. It was actually very interesting. I took my camera along, but you aren't allowed to take pictures of the people, so I took some of the fields and houses. We also went to Davy Crockett state park and had lunch. It was a nice day. By the time we got home, though, it was pouring down rain and our power had gone off. I didn't care, though. In the daytime, a quiet nap in a cool house listening to the rain without the sounds of technology is nice. I guess I was still feeling the Amish vibe. : )

This week at work has been super busy. I'm kind of glad, because the days just seem to fly by, but when you get so busy that you don't realize you've been standing in practically one position for three hours, that's kind of weird. I have had to make a lot of big signs and posters lately, and last night I stayed until 7 o'clock to get some stuff ready for today. What would normally have only taken a few minutes took several hours because one of our printers ran out of the special paper and I had to do it all with vinyl sheeting. Imagine making ten small signs with what basically boils down to stickers. I barely got them to the people who needed them on time. The sad thing? I know that as soon as that luncheon is over, they are going to throw all of them away. SIGH.

I have officially wounded myself every day that I've been at work! I have over 9 cuts on my hands, and yesterday I thought I was doing well by not cutting myself and it turns out that I cut a big hole in my shirt! I also bought what looked like some very comfortable sandles to wear to work, and they ended up blistering my feet so badly that I had to go barefoot most of the day yesterday. Yuck.

I got some bad news yesterday. My mother called and told me that the football coach from my high school died. He had a heart attack while he was jogging. He was only 44 years old. I couldn't help but shed a few tears for the man. I mean, I hadn't seen him in 10 years, but he was a good friend of my sister and my cousins played ball for him. He was always very nice to me. Coach Cavnar was a good man, he loved the kids he taught and he was a talented artist. I hope I can make a difference to people like he did.

Did I ever tell you about my uncomfortable moment? I don't think I did. Well, it probably wasn't as uncomfortable as it could have been, but it still made me feel awkward. Steve, Josh, and I went out to eat with a guy, Joe, who we used to work with at the SpRocket and his new wife. We didn't really know her that well, but she is a really sweet girl who is a lot of fun. Well, all during dinner we were laughing and talking and generally acting foolish. I kept noticing this lady watching our table, and I didn't think much about it because we WERE being kind of loud. Well, the people at that lady's table got up and were leaving when I noticed a younger woman walking with her stop and look at everyone at our table. She looked at me right in the eye and I realized that she was the ex-girlfriend of Joe (and had been really upset that he had gotten married). Now she didn't say or do anything, but she did give us all a measured look and it was so awkward. Joe never saw her because he was talking to Steve, but Joe's wife, Josh and I did. All of us just kind of clammed up and looked guilty! Does anyone have any idea why we do these things? I mean, Joe and that girl had been broken up for over two years, but they had dated for 5 years and Joe's wife was the girl he started dating soon after. There was no reason to feel weird, but we did. Oh well.

Well. I guess I do need to get back to work!

No comments: