Monday, July 25, 2005

Weekend Update!

Greetings Everyone! I hope you had a nice weekend. I did.

Friday after work, Steve went to a concert on the mountain with Anthony and Josh, but I didn't care anything about seeing the guy. I'd heard him perform once before and he is super talented, but I couldn't stand the thought of sitting outside in the summer, so me and my buddy Master Wok had dinner and watched TV. I decided to mow the grass once it started getting dark so that I wouldn't have to do it during the day saturday, and I had a teeny little accident. I was kind of hanging over the edge of the lawn mower trying to snag a branch that was in my way, and I ran into a light pole. I wasn't going very fast, so it didn't hurt me, but I got stuck. I put it in reverse to get away from the pole, and on my way forward again, I ran over the neighbor's sprinkler thingie and destroyed it. I didn't know what it was at first, but as soon as I saw the weeping stump I put all the pieces of it I could find in a pile and ran into the house. I couldn't tell anyone what I did because they weren't there that night, so I had to wait and see. If they've noticed, they haven't said anything. I'm too scared to tell them what I did because Mr. Neighbor is kind of freakish about his lawn and I don't want him to yell at me. After that debacle I was watching Poltergeist and crocheting, when thunder blasted outside of the window at about the same time the emergency broadcast siren went off, so I almost had a heart attack. For a second, I thought 'Their here!" I got the dogs and lit a candle in case the power went out, and went about my business. I was thinking that it was going to come another storm, but I don't think it even rained very much.

Saturday was a busy day. I was scrounging some stuff to give my parents for their yard sale, and trying to clean up the living room. It took me all freakin' day, too. I didn't realize how dirty I had let that room get. There was stuff everyhere. Steve and his dad were replacing the water pump in his truck, so he was out of my way for a while. I was able to get quite a bit of laundry and stuff done. we were both too tired to go out that night, so we stayed at home and watched several episodes of the new Dr. Who. I am really starting to enjoy it, but I'm also sad because the guy playing the Dr. is only going to be there for one season. He said he didn't want to be typecast. : ( I hope the next guy is as likeable as this one. I also got to indulge in one of life's little known pleasures. Chocolate ice cream for dinner. Yummers! Because of my new Dr. Who fascination, I want to make a formal apology to everyone I've made fun of who watches the new Battlestar Galactica. Sure, it sucks, but I can't live in a glass house about bad tv sci-fi anymore.

Sunday I was sick as a dog. Mowing the yard apparently unleashed the worst allergy attack I've had in a long time and I pretty much just sat around trying to breathe and not move my head much. I was so dizzy, it was like a bad case of motion sickness. I did, however, rouse myself enough to have lunch with my family and help celebrate Shawn's birthday. He's 32! We all had a great time. Steve and I left there pretty early because I still wasn't feeling well and we were going to go to Wal-Mart to get some stuff, but we ended up going home and falling asleep. I woke up a little before Steve and went back to the couch and read until he left and watched TV and did some more crocheting. I'm a party animal!

I have a new annoyance. I'm kind of hesitant to admit it, because I've been known to do this myself, but I can honestly tell you that when I have done it, I've even annoyed myself. As hypocritical as this is going to sound, people on diets irritate me. Well, it isn't so much the people on diets, but it's the people who are hard core on diets. You know the types. They are usualy one one of those diets that requires buying a book for, and they tell you IN DETAIL everything they eat from day to day, they talk about why their diet is the best one and why you should do it. You can't talk about food in front of them because they will cut you off at the knees with a swift "I can't eat that!" You can't offer them anything without them telling you how bad it is for you and what it does to your body. Personally, I like to eat. If you are on a diet, good for you, but I don't want to know about it unless I ask. Let's consider it to be like talking about your sex life -- I DON"T WANT TO KNOW. If I do, I'll ask, and you should be unwilling to share details without blushing and stammering. With a few exceptions *coughchinesefood&chocolateicecream* I've been trying to eat better myself, but I hope I'm not being annoying about it. There have been many instances lately where I can't enjoy a meal because it never fails that SOMEONE is going to start talking about how fat they are and why they don't eat sugar, and what size they are. You know the one thing that I never hear with the diet people? How much they are exercising to lose this weight. I don't think I'd care so much if I thought they were at least trying to be healthy, but all I hear is how they have cut out all carbs, sugar, oil, starch, sweets, ad nauseum (not healthy, by the way). I would love to turn to them (mouth full of something they wish they were eating) and say, "You know, you can have all of those delicious and forbidden things if you weren't just trying to lose weight by going on some radical and usually unhealthy depravation diet." See, I know I'm being hypocritical there because you don't see me running to the gym six times a week, but at least I know that is something I should do. I'm not going to pretend that eating carrots and wheat germ for every meal is the way to go and generally make something that should be plesant into a three times a day torture session. God gave us food, we are supposed to eat it! We just aren't suposed to overindulge and make ourselves slothy (is that even a word) with it. There. I think I steped on my own toes a little there, but I needed to vent a little. It had been building up.

I'm off!

No comments: