Monday, December 18, 2006

Well, it's from one update to another, but be fair...I've been busy!

WEEKEND UPDATE!

Friday night was our church's choir party. Every year right before the cantata, they all get together and do what it is that Baptists do best: eat. : ) I was going to be working in the kitchen, as well as being "and spouse" for Steve, so I helped set out and serve some very yummy food. I also got to actually eat out with the other folks too, which is new. I usually stay in the kitchen with the other kitchen staff so that we can do our hostess duties, but since it was pretty much just Selina and I there, we opted to eat with everyone else. Unfortunately, after everyone left, we still had a ton of food and dishes left to take care of and the water heater decided to take that moment to die. So, we are going to have to rewash a lot of those dishes when the heater gets fixed. At any rate, the dinner went well and a good time was had by all!

Saturday my day had already been booked to work as Josh's kitchen staff at his work party. It probably sounds like I never have any fun, but I actually enjoy stuff like that. Sad, I know. I called him on my way over and asked if I could stop and pick anything up for them, and I got sent on a beer run. I was kind of embarrassed because I have never bought beer before, so I'm wheeling a cart around filled with beer and hoping my preacher didn't see me. As far as I know, he didn't! : )
I got to his very large, very posh subdivision club house and began helping prepare the food. Well, I say I helped prepare it, but it was mostly just cutting things up and arranging it on trays. They (Josh and his two co-workers) ended up leaving me alone in the club house to run some errands, but Josh isn't supposed to do that because you have to be on some kind of tennants list to be alone in the building. He told me that if anyone asked, I was his wife, we had gotten married last month, and he just hasn't put my name on the list yet. Thank goodness I didn't have to tell anyone he and I were married. Even the thought of that just feels WRONG! Nothing bad against Josh, but he is so firmly entrenched in the "Friend Zone" that he's like a relative, and even if I'm from the south, I don't want to be married to my relatives!
We finally finished all of the prep work and went to get ready for the party. I decided to actually dress like wait staff so that people wouldn't feel weird asking me to do stuff, as if they were ordering around another guest. I was precious in my black slacks and white button up shirt. I even wore my old, blue Pier 1 apron so I wouldn't get messy. When we got back to the club house and set everything out, the other host of the party (an older lady) saw me and asked if I would like her to have her husband bring me her Santa Clause apron to wear instead of the blue one I was wearing. Always the obliging one, I told her I'd wear it if she'd like me to, since it was her party and all. In hindsight, I need to stop being so obliging. I was picturing a regular apron that had a picture of Santa on it...but nooooooooooooooooooo. This was a very large, red courderoy thing with white fir trim and a black belt with a gold buckle. I looked like some kind of demented elf. I can only thank the good Lord she didn't have a hat for me. It was also HOT in the kitchen, and I was running around a lot. If you've ever worn an excess of corderoy, you know I was boiling.
Well, the party got started and everything went really well! I had told Josh and the other two ladies to leave as much up to me as possible, and they did. Very rarely have I ever run around so much during one party. There were all kinds of teachers and school staff at that party. I joked that I would finally get to see what teachers did on their off time, and I learned one thing...they drink. A lot. Somehow, seeing that they are elementary and middle school teachers, I really don't blame them! I had to figure out how to open wine (which I finally got the hang of) and make sure that no cartons were in the beer coolers. Now, I'm not too hip on the whole BYOB thing, but one couple seemed to do something very rude. Everyone who brought anything to drink set it on a table and everyone else was free to get some of it. This couple walked into the kitchen, bags huddled against their chests, and put their stuff in the fridge so no one else could have any. Is that normal? Oh well, I don't think anyone suffered because of it, it just seemed rude. Also, the drunker the guy got, the more he talked to me when he came into the kitchen to get his stuff out of the fridge. I had a new buddy by the time they left! Heeheehee. By the time it was all over, I was exhausted. I was sore from lifting and running, and I could barely move. It took us about an hour to clean up and I went home and crashed. Since I didn't get paid, I made off with a lot of the leftovers! So I'm going to have tiny little cheesecakes for a long time to come. : )

Sunday was the day of the choir cantata. Steve has joined the choir, so it was a very special occasion! He looked so cute in his robe. Heeheehee. The music was wonderful and the whole choir did a fantastic job. My parents and brother came to hear it and were duly impressed. There was only one complaint that I had about the whole thing, and it was only a tiny thing. The cantata came with a visual DVD to play while they were singing, and it was sooooooooooo cheesy. It was mainly pictures, but there was some animation thrown in for good measure. Steve hit it right on the nose when he said it looked like Monty Python animation...that was exactly what it looked like. So instead of thinking of the cantata as it's proper title, One Small Child, I have been thinking of it as: Monty Python and the Flying Manger. After church we went to my parent's house and had Steve's birthday lunch. His dad and Grandma came and ate with us as well, and we had a really great time. I think my mom drugged our food, though, because all the way home I kept dozing off. Once we got there, Steve and I fell asleep so hard that we overslept the alarm clock and didn't make it to evening worship services. We felt bad! We ended up our evening watching part of the first season of "Lost", which I have come to love dearly. I haven't watched it on TV at all because I missed the first season and had heard that you have to see everything to understand what's going on. However, Steve put it on our Netflix que and we have been watching 4 episodes at a time. I can't believe how good of a show it is!

I find out my grades tomorrow! *fingers are crossed*

More to come...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dogfather had his cantata last weekend too.
BWAHAHAA Monty Python and the Flying Manger!

If we lived in the same city I'd suggest we start a catering bidness.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I just registered and wanted to pop in and introduce myself to the community. Let me just say that it is a awesome site that you have here.

Here are some other web sites and blogs that might be of interest to you.

[url=http://skintoday.info]skintoday.info[/url] - skintoday.info
[url=http://skintoday.info]skincareblog.info[/url] - skincareblog.info
[url=http://skintoday.info]skinsmart.info[/url] - skinsmart.info
[url=http://skintoday.info]skincareshop.info[/url] - skincareshop.info

skin care products and tips and tricks