Friday, October 12, 2007

Hi. I would like to apologize to anyone who has been checking my blog for the past couple of weeks to see if I had written anything new. Not that I think you are all torn up about it or anything, but I probably should have given updates about everything. However, my heart just hasn't be into it lately. Each time I'd sit down to write, I'd think about the last time I made an entry and couldn't do it.

Don't worry, this isn't going to be an entry set aside to be sad. In fact, if it's OK with you guys, I hope you will allow me the luxury of ignoring the elephant in the room for a while and talk about other things. However, I would like to say this: I have some really amazing people in my life. I really hate that it took the death of my father to point that out to me, but I'm very blessed. Very much so. Thank you guys, for everything you did (and are still doing) for me.

Since I have been determined to find something to laugh about from the past couple of weeks, I have 2 stories that I'm going to tell you. The first one was about a woman that my sister had gone to school with and who had gone to church with my family when she was a teenager. She came to my papa's visitation service and saw me standing in the receiving line. She said "OH MY GOD! That can't be Kelly! I can't believe it!" Let me pause and just say, what a dumb thing to say. What does she think I'm going to do, send my understudy to my papa's funeral? Anyways, she came over and hugged me and talked a second. Then she reached out and tried to pat my stomach. The heifer thought I was pregnant. Let me pause again and say something else: I know I am not thin. I know I was probably wearing the worst possible outfit I had, but I wasn't exactly in the mood to look cute. I also know that even if I WERE pregnant, I wouldn't want some strange person patting my stomach! Well, as soon as her hand hit my shirt (I was wearing a tunic style top that is a little too big for me) it bounced back against me and she realized what she had done. She looked so horrified, and she just stood there and opened and closed her mouth and then she walked away. I stood there in righteous indignation, but said nothing. As soon as it stops hurting my feelings, I'm probably going to think it's hilarious!

Another funny thing, although I feel a little guilty for thinking so, was that I had called work to let them know that papa had had a heart attack before I actually knew he had passed away. The network started up and soon my friends here at the Sprocket knew that he was in the hospital. Well, it was about an hour before I had a chance to call my boss and tell him what happened, but that news didn't travel very fast. Steve called one of our friends and said, "yeah, I just wanted to let you know what happened and to give you the funeral arrangements." Our friend (who's name is being protected so that I'm the only one who can make fun of him) said "Oh, ok. How is he doing?" I saw him at the funeral and said that Steve told me he asked how my dad was. I told him he was dead. He just covered him face and looked embarrassed. I was only joking with him, of course, but I think he probably felt terrible for the faux pas. I forgive him though. : )

I finally came back to work on Monday and I was slammed with sign requests. Amazingly enough, it wasn't that no one took up my slack while I was gone (because my co-workers are awesome) but that everyone seemed to have forgotten to request important signs that they were going to need this week. I finally finished the monster standees for the food service area, and they were awesome if I do say so, and I worked my face off to finish the other slew of things that were asked for. As of right now (Friday) I'm caught up as much as I can be. Go Me!

I have volunteered to work several days (too many) of the "Tunnels of Terror" haunted house that the SpRocket and the local FOX affiliate are putting on here this year. I haven't worked at a haunted house in so long that I didn't know what job to volunteer for. So when asked, I said I'd play the scary nurse in the hospital part of the thing. Basically what I do is wear a nurse hat and corpse-y makeup and sit in the hospital waiting room behind a desk (which I don't really understand since the "hospital" is supposed to be more of a triage center). The desk I sit behind is built off of the floor so that a person in a monster mask can hide under it. The top of the desk has one of those blotter/calender things on it, which is hinged so that when I say my line "Do you have an appointment?" the person under the desk jumps up and startles the people I'm talking to. All of this was going well. Even though I'm in full "scary" makeup, I am not really a scary character. I'm supposed to draw their attention towards me so that the monster can do it's thing. Well, last night was opening night, and things were going really well. The monster under the desk was doing a really great job scaring people. However, once, while talking to the guests, the monster sprang up and the blotter (the calender is on a cherry wood base and then screwed into a pressboard ) hit me in the forehead hard enough to make see stars. I didn't say anything, but boy howdy, that sucked. I now have a spot on my forehead that is too sore to touch. To add insult to that particular injury, I woke up this morning at about 3:00 and thought I had scooted to the foot of the bed, so I pushed myself towards the headboard and smashed my forehead into it. Apparently, depth perception isn't one of my strong suits at 3:00 in the morning. : )

So, that's what has been going on with me.

No comments: