Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The other night, Steve and I recorded a documentary on the History Channel (I heart the history channel, by the way) about the "Lost Book of Nostradamas." It was quite fascinating, but then, I've always liked to hear about guys like Nostradamas and Cayce, who say they've predicted the future. Actually, I saw the show before Steve did because I was home when it was originally aired. So when Steve watched it, I was able to go back and pick up on some of the things I missed before.

What a load of poo.

You know, I like to think I'm more open minded about this sort of stuff than I used to be. I could even go as far as believeing that there are honestly people who have the power to see into the future, but I'm not so sure that Nostradamas was one of them. The more I listened to the "experts" talk about his predictions and about what the book meant - it was a book of pictures instead of quatrains - the more silly it all sounded. Granted, these people are much more educated than I am, and apparently there are real-life symbologists who can decode things a la the Davinci Code, but something about these people seemed slightly desperate in their attempt at decode the pictures. So, just in case you are wondering, Nostradamas predicts (according to the experts) that the world might possibly end in 2012, there is going to be a bad Pope (I believe it will be Josh) and aliens will come to earth in silver tubes to teach the children of the people who survive armageddon how to use their special X-Men like powers. If you get a chance to watch the documentary, please do, because if nothing else it was entertaining.

Personally, I think it was just a 16th century comic book about SuperPope and his sidekick Snake-Man. I'm almost positive I saw a ninja in there.

Oh yeah, and another thing about it drove me nuts. You'll have to pardon me for being such a nerd about this, I beg of you. All through this documentary, they had these 16th century pages that they were leafing through that made up the book. These pages had been painted on with watercolors and were in almost pristine condition. They maybe had a little darkening of the paper because of age, but that was all. These so called "experts" were flipping through the book with their bare hands! You don't do that!!!!!!!! One lady even rested her arm on it while she was talking! I know that probably sounds like a stupid thing to be upset about, but really. The acids from your skin would eat through that vellum like crazy, not to mention that it would get stained! Even if it wasn't by Nostradamas, it's a beautiful old book and these people were treating it like an old newspaper. It made me sick to my stomach.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.