Sunday, June 21, 2009

BLOGGED ALONG THE WAY: SAVANNAH, GEORGIA EDITION

JUNE 21, 2009 - This morning Steve and I went on a tour of Bonaventure (which I keep wanting to call Bonaventura for some reason) Cemetery which is a huge, old and unbelievably beautiful place. We had arranged a tour with the same people who did our ghost tour, and it turned out that Steve and I were the only ones to sign up for that day. At first we couldn't find our tour guide, but we finally located him waiting on us. I felt kind of bad for him, because it must be kind of a drag to give an elaborate tour to only two people, and I could also tell that he had the actual tour down to a patter that wasn't as effective to just the two of us. We also had a very strange vocal tic where he kind of hummed after everything he said. It was kind of weird, but he was a wonderful guide. We walked a long way and learned a LOT about the people buried there. I wish I could have spent longer looking and taking pictures, as I am an avid taphophile, but it was just too damn hot out there. I don't remember how long we were out there, and it was a LONG time, but we were hot, dirty, sweaty, and thirsty by the time we were done. That has to be one of the most beautiful cemeteries that I've ever seen, and the headstones were amazing. If I ever get a chance, I'll go back and do some grave rubbings. When we left, we tried to find a Target because we needed some essentials, but the stupid GPS must have gotten mad at me for abusing it the night before, because it took us WAY out of town. I'm not sure where we ended up, but it certainly wasn't Target. We had to find a way back into town, because we had made reservations for that night at a fancy, historical restaurant called The Olde Pink House. We heard it was (possibly) very haunted on the ghost tour last night and we wanted to eat with some dead folks.

I'm not sure how long we were actually gone, but I was in quite a state by the time we were able to rest and get ready. I apparently didn't hear Steve right when he told me what time our reservation was for, because 15 minutes before we were supposed to be there, I still wasn't ready. I still stand behind my belief that he told me 7:30, but he said he told me 6:30 (he didn't, I swear) we had to call and push our reservation back until 8:45. Luckily we were able to do that! Yay!

We did have another small problem while getting ready, and I should probably be ashamed for thinking it's funny, but I'm not! When I got out of the shower, I walked back into our room and saw Steve looking distressed. He had been ironing his dress pants before getting dressed, but now he was just standing there staring at them on the board. Bless his heart, he hadn't payed attention to the setting on the iron before he got started and he had burned an iron-shaped hole in his pants! He looked so pitiful, but I couldn't help but laugh! I've never actually known anyone to do that in real life! Poor guy, though, it was the only pair of nice pants he had brought, so he had to wear jeans. He looked handsome anyways!

After we got ready, we decided to try and find that elusive Target again!
After driving a considerable distance, and being miseld by the stupid GPS again, we finally did find a Target on our own and we bought a new GPS holder, which made me happy because I was having to hold the dumb thing up the whole time we were driving. I also had to buy a new pair of shoes because none of the many pairs of shoes I brought with me were doing my feet any good. At this point, I had blisters, wounds, and hurty spots all over my feet: in short, my feet hurt. A lot. I got a pair of Chucks and a few other things and even though it was a little early, we finally made our way to the restaurant. I'm glad we decided to go early, because it took us a LONG time to find a place to park. We finally found a spot about a block away and walked over. They were able to seat us immediately, so that was awesome! The restaurant was wonderful and the food was spectacular. I had pecan-crusted chicken with some kind of sauce on it, whipped sweet potatoes and collards. I know the food was good because I ate the collard greens and I usually HATE them. We also got dessert, which I can't exactly describe because there was a lot going on with it, but I will just call it Awesome with Fruit and Ice Cream. I could eat one of whatever it was every day for a year and still think it was good! *drool*

As for ghosts, I didn't see anything. Trust me, I looked. The Olde Pink House is supposed to be one of the 7 most haunted locations in the country, and I didn't see or feel anything. Steve, on the other hand, did! BOO, I'm jealous! He and I were talking and he kind of jumped a little and looked weird and asked if anyone was behind him. There wasn't anyone there, not a server or even a table with people at it, so he looked kind of funny when I said no one was there. His chair had slid away from the table, and he didn't do it! He even tried to do it and the chair wouldn't move like that when he pushed it! No fair! :( I got nothing.

No comments: