Monday, June 22, 2009

BLOGGED ALONG THE WAY: SAVANNAH, GEORGIA EDITION

JUNE 22, 2009 - Today was our designated beach day! We went to Tybee Island and just had a lazy morning. We actually went to the quiet beach in front of the big light house, so it was not crowded and we just kind of hung out. Steve actually dig a hole and made a "recliner" in the sand, so he was happy. I didn't wear the bottom half of my suit (I know what you're thinking, and I just mean I wore shorts instead. Pervert!) so I didn't swim, but I waded. There weren't any shells to speak of, but I found a couple. There was also a large horse shoe crab that someone caught, and it scared the crap out of me. It was huge! I mean, if someone took the shell off of the crab, Steve could wear it like an army helmet, that's how big it was. They saw me recoil from it and laughed. Buttheads. Let me wield a humongous prehistoric sea creature in their faces and see how they like it!

We didn't stay out there long, and we decided to go to The Crab Shack for lunch. I've heard wonderful things about the place, so I was excited about eating there! They said they weren't seating inside yet, but they sat us outside in a place surrounded by fans so it wasn't so bad. I am really not fond of seafood, but I didn't want to come to a place called The Crab Shack and eat anything other than seafood, so we ordered a big platter of stuff for two. They brought out this enormous platter with potatoes, corn, crawfish, giant spider-looking crab legs, stone crab claws, steamed mussels, and sausage, all covered in butter and spices. I'm going to be honest, I wasn't a fan. I hate to say that since I've heard nothing but good things about the place, but it was gross. The crab legs were good, which I wasn't expecting, but everything else I tried was bad. Not only that, but flies began crawling all over our food. FLIES! We couldn't keep them off, and even though I tried to look past it, I know that flies are disease carrying carrion eaters, and they were walking and licking the food on the platter and that made me gag. I gave up and just ate crackers. I also played with the crawfish. Shut up, they were cute. I was disgusted about the flied, though. Steve doesn't get disgusted as easily as I do, so he ate what he could hold. I felt bad, but at least I tried. If I ever go again, I'd like to eat inside and only order crab legs. Otherwise, I just won't go back. It was gross. Also, there were bugs flying around outside and spiderwebs all over the place. I didn't tell Steve until we were back home, but there was a giant spider in a web behind him. If he had known, he would have died. Seriously, he would have died. He would have screamed like a girl first, but his heart would have stopped. I was glad to get out of there. Look, I know I sound like a snob, and trust me, I'm not squeamish about trying new foods or eating in out of the way places, but I draw the line at eating food covered in bugs. Until I'm a missionary living in the jungle and I actually HAVE to eat food covered in flies, I'm going to pass, thanks. GROSS! BLEH.

We went back to the lighthouse to visit the gift shop, and then we headed home! We were burned, tired, and covered in crab juice. We came back to the hotel and took a shower and then slept like dead people. I don't even think we meant to sleep as long as we did, but we were so tired. After we got up, we went to World Market and bought some candy and then to dinner. We didn't go anywhere interesting, because we just didn't have the energy, so we just ate at a Mexican place across from where we were staying and came back to sleep some more.

No comments: