Tuesday, June 23, 2009

BLOGGED ALONG THE WAY: SAVANNAH, GEORGIA EDITION

JUNE 23, 2009 - This morning I woke up early, determined not to waste our last full day in Savannah. I had a list of things I wanted to do, so as soon as we got ready, we left. The first place we went was the river walk. Most things ended up being closed because it was so early, but we did manage to get a few souvenirs. We left there and went to Broughton Street, where we visited the Savannah Bee Company Honey Shop. We tasted honey and bought several things! I actually wanted one of the signature bottles of honey, but they didn't have the kind I especially wanted in a bottle like that. We did, however, get several small bottles of honey and half of a mason jar of the Black Sage honey (my favorite). We are going to have a LOT of honey at our house for a while, I believe.

We left there and had lunch at the Moon River Brewery, which had really great food, but since we don't drink beer, we didn't get to try any of their specialties. We didn't care, though, because we just wanted the air conditioning, really. We had several other things on our list, but we didn't do them for one reason or another. I was really afraid we'd just end up wasting the rest of our time, but we didn't. One our way back to our room, we almost added a new ghost to the "Most Haunted City In America." Don't worry, it wasn't us who almost joined the astral plane, it was the dumbass bicyclist who thought that his Schwinn was a match for several automobiles. We had just made a turn to drive along the edge of Forsyth Park, and I saw a guy on a bicycle riding closely beside us. It scared me because I thought that we were going to hit him. When we didn't, I thought that he was going to get on the sidewalk and ride, so I didn't think much else about him until I saw him whip around the car from the driver's side and get in front of us. He was really booking, so I figured that he was out of harm's way, but I don't guess Lance Armstrong was being too careful because he wiped out in a major way right in front of the car! BAM, the guy hit the pavement. I'm glad Steve was driving, because he was able to slam on the breaks in time to not hit the guy. There was also a car in the other lane who was able to stop in time, but it was almost creamed by a truck that was speeding along behind it. We heard a squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel of breaks and tires, but no impact. Thank goodness! The guy grabbed his bike and hauled it off of the roadway, but we didn't see if he was hurt. We probably should have. Hmmmmmmm. I don't think we played the good Samaritans, but it's kind of hard to do that when you are screaming obscenities at someone. It comes across as disingenuous.

We had to come back and drop some things off in our hotel room, and since it was still early, I asked Steve what he wanted to do. He hemmed and hawed for a long time and asked what I wanted to do, but since I had already told him a thousand times that I didn't know, I finally told him to just PICK something so that we weren't just sitting in our room all day. He did a bit of looking on the web and said that he wanted to go back to Tybee Island and go to one of the bigger, more popular public beaches. I was all for that, and I actually wore my entire suit so that I could go swimming! I didn't like it, but I did it. When we got to the beach, the place was PACKED to the gills. Streets were blocked off and there was absolutely no places to park. I couldn't believe that there were so many people there on a Tuesday afternoon, so we kept driving to try and find a place to park. We couldn't even go to the shops along the beach, which is one of the things we wanted to do! We finally pulled down a street and saw that it was blocked off at one end! Boo! We were going to have to turn around and Steve noticed that there were cranes with lights all over the place. I had totally forgotten that Miley Cyrus is somewhere in Savannah this week filming something. She was at the beach, and that was why so many people were there! CURSE YOU, HANNAH MONTANA! We finally drove back a little ways and found a stretch of beach and a parking space that wasn't covered by squeeing tweens and curious teenage boys. It was nice and quiet, and the water was as warm as a bath. It was very nice. I didn't swim for long, but I spent the couple of hours we were there reading and relaxing. After we left there, we went to one of the cheesy beach souvenir shops and then came back to the hotel. We spent the rest of the evening relaxing, watching TV, and ordering room service. Sadly, this is our last day in Savannah and we have to go home tomorrow. :( I really like this place. I just feel very at home here. I've also decided I'm going to live here one day. I'm going to buy one of the houses along Forsyth Park and be old, sassy and southern among the Spanish moss. That's my goal.

No comments: