Thursday, August 13, 2009

Do you want to know what I think is weird? Getting older.

I'm not talking about the actual passage of time or anything like that. I'm talking about what happens to us when we get older. I realize I'm only 31, so I'm sure I haven't encountered a large fraction of what will eventually happen to me as I age, but the stuff that has happened so far is just so strange.

I've started getting a lot of white hairs on my head. I love them and I think they are beautiful, but it's strange to be brushing my hair and see them because they are so OBVIOUS in my dark hair. I can't stay up late anymore. Well, at least not like I used to. I could stay up all night, pop a couple of No-Doze and make it through the day with little to no trouble. Now I am lucky if I'm not completely unconscious and drooling by 10:00 PM. I also creak. It's creepy and I hate it, but my knees make sound when I walk up stairs! SOUNDS, people! Knees should be seen and not heard! My eyesight is not as good as it was even a couple of years ago and my hearing isn't good at all (but to be fair, it's probably partially genetic and I always wear my iPod which isn't doing me any favors.)

I guess it's weird because I don't feel any older on the inside. I feel like I always have; kind of silly, just as dreamy, and not at all serious. That clashes mightily with the slow but steady degeneration of my physical self. Boo. It's too bad that we can't always be as young as we feel, isn't it?

Urg. Anyways, that is my philosophizing for today. Now get off my lawn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget, you spent a big part of high school with the loudest bunch of people on campus! That couldn't have helped your hearing either! At least it didn't help mine.

And yeah the getting old thing, there's a lot of stuff I can't do anymore. My knees aren't bad, but my shoulders sound like a box of rice crispies!

--JT

amy said...

My knees make the crunchy sound too.

I feel like a college kid on the inside, which is probably why I enjoy working on a college campus. But then, every now and then it hits me that I am not the same age as the students, that they think of me as old, a grownup...