Monday, August 31, 2009

I had such a fun Saturday! Well, it didn't start out that fun. We sat around waiting for the bug man to come and spray the house for vermin. He was supposed to show up between 10am-12pm, but the time passed and no one showed up. I thought perhaps that bug guys are like cable repair guys and they just get there when they get there, but Steve finally had to call them and find out where they were. Apparently even though you can make an appointment with them for a Saturday, and no one from the office calls to tell you any differently, they don't actually do appointments for Saturday. No one was going to come. BLAST! Steve had to call and make another appointment for later this week, but he did lodge a complaint with them. SO THERE! :P I just hope the complaint doesn't cause a problem with our service. I found a giant roach in the garage (on it's back, but I'm convinced that it was just sleeping. I sprayed it with my own bottle of pesticide and saw it wiggle. Yuck.) and an absolutely enormous spider in a web it had built by the garage. I'm not kidding, the thing was huge. It was an orb spider, which are already big, but I think this one had recently eaten a cat or something because it was bigger than I thought was necessary. We also killed that one with the spray. I kind of felt bad for killing the orb spider because they don't bother people and they tend to move their webs from day to day, but the hastared thing was too big to be normal and it was also on my house. It had to go. I still get the shivers when I think about how big it was. Eeeeeeesh.

The fun part didn't start until we went to dinner with Sara and Ron. We met at Papou's, which is a Greek restaurant I'd never tried before. It was really good! I've only had Greek food once before, but I think I'll be having it again. Sara made fun of me because I got chicken instead of something with a Greek name, but I was being cautious. It was good, anyways! At least I didn't do like the lady at the table behind us. She ordered some kind of fish, and it came out to her head and all. She said 'Oh, God! I can't eat that, it's got its head! I'm from the south, we batter and fry fish out here! I'm sorry, I can't eat it! Oh, my God!" All I could think of was that scene from "A Christmas Story" when the Old Man says "It's...smiling at me..." about the duck at the Chinese restaurant! :) Anyways, I recommend Papou's. Good stuff.

Afterwards we went to watch the Dixie Derby Girls Roller-Derby. I'd never been to see one of these before, although Steve had. It was interesting, but I had no idea what was going on. Steve tried to explain, but I never fully understood it. It was girls on skates going around in a circle and knocking each other down. There were also points involved, but I didn't understand how they were scored. I had much more fun people watching. There were all kinds of people there, some of which I don't have names for. There were normal looking people, goth people, giant facial piercings people, strangely tattooed people, a guy who looked like he'd be kind of sticky if you accidentally touched him, the people with bad shoes, and there were an abundance of skankily dressed women there. Good times. There was also a group of people who did the "Thriller" dance during intermission, and it was one of the best jobs I'd seen anyone do since the real video. I was impressed. We didn't stay for the whole thing, so we ended our night talking at a Starbucks. It was lots of fun!

No comments: